Delayed union timeframe?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi team,

Does anyone have guidelines on what timeframe is considered for delayed union of a fracture? All I have found is that a delayed union is a fracture that takes longer than normal to heal... But what is that? At what time do drs accept that it is delayed and intervention may be required?

I sustained a displaced spiral fracture of my 5th metatarsal on 23/07. At 6 weeks they removed my cast and did another x-ray and to me it didn't seem healed at all. Still a huge gap in the break and still grossly swollen. The hospital drs put me in a moon boot and said we'll see at 12 weeks. No discussion about what would happen at this time.

I got a referral to a private orthopaedic surgeon who I saw today, and said he would do another x-ray in 3 weeks time (12 1/2weeks after injury) and see. He also suggested 'we might then see how it is in another 4 weeks'.

At what point do I draw the line and say it's been given long enough? Any ideas on what accepted time frames are and when it's considered too long?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am lead to believe that it can and some times does take upwards of a year and sometimes longer, I'm sure someone will know, are you unable to weight bear

• Posted

Hi emmy89.

I wish I could help but I don't know. Thank you for asking the question though!

Hope you get some good responses.

• Posted

Emmy,

I hope you get some answers soon, I know the feeling with doctors not explaining things when it comes to your health, and I don't understand it because we should have the right to know about our health and what we should expect. Keep us informed as to what you find out and I hope they give you the answers you deserve. I would probably just ask the doctor hey this is my body we're talking about can you give me a time frame on what we're talking about here, and see what he says.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.