Dementia

Posted , 2 users are following.

My husband has dementia and every now and again he is like a zombie - looks as though he's asleep and nothing can wake him - even banging on a pan. Then when I manage to get him to open his eyes he just sits as though in a stupor with his eyes glazed over and not acknowledging anything - is this normal for dementia? As I said this is not all the time.

Regards

J

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That must be very upsetting for you.

I'm wondering whether these episodes are TIAs (transient ischaemic attacks). These are mini-strokes, and are a frequent cause of vascular dementia, where small blood clots cause the death of multiple tiny areas of brain tissue. My mother, who was diagnosed with vascular dementia, used to have similar attacks, though she wouldn't be completely out of it. TIAs manifest in different ways. Some people might just exhibit a momentary slowing-down, whereas others will be worse affected.

Has your husband has had a brain scan, either CT or MRI? My mum had a CT scan, which showed multiple areas of ischaemic damage - i.e. impaired blood supply. Even if he's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's or another form of dementia, your husband could still have vascular dementia, as it often occurs in combination with other types.

I'm also wondering whether you've discussed this with his doctor or dementia nurse (if he has one). If not, I think you should bring it up. If they find he is having TIAs they might put him on low-dose aspirin, if he isn't already taking it. My mother was prescribed this and tolerated it well, though I'm not sure how much difference it made.

• Posted

Hi Lily, thanks for your advice. A year ago he suffered a few TIA's and went into hospital via A & E as he fell and hit his head and had to have stitches. The hospital put him on low dosage aspirin but since then he had to come off them as he had internal bleeding brought on by the aspirin - so chicken and egg situation.

A week ago he went walkabout, how he managed it I don't know, as he can hardly walk but he got out with his walking frame - hence fell and broke his hip. Had the op last Friday and home 3 days later - far too soon I think. Trying to get him moving is hard work as he'd rather sit and do nothing - consequently when he does make the effort his legs are like jelly - never ending circle??

Regards

J

• Posted

Oh Jean, I'm so sorry to hear all this. I know what it's like as my mother went down to vascular dementia over a period of nine years. She died 14 years ago, then a few years after that I took over the care of a friend, not much older than myself, who had the same problem. I know just how worrying, and frustrating, it can be.

It sounds as if you're in the UK, so I'm wondering whether you have a dementia nurse you can call on. A friend of mine had help from the service when dealing with her husband's dementia, but I know it's a bit of a postcode lottery. Unfortunately I couldn't get any help for my mum, as her diagnosis came too late. She'd always been a mathematical wiz so she could do the "start at 100, keep taking off 7" test without a moment's hesitation. She was unstoppable, got all the way down to 2 in record time! This meant they classified her as not having dementia even though she couldn't remember any of the words they gave her, and by this time couldn't even find the toilet in her own house.

I'm also wondering whether your husband is seeing a physiotherapist. It shouldn't be down to you on your own to get him walking again. I know they come out to people's homes in some parts of the UK. If this isn't the case, he should be getting transport to go to the hospital - but I know everything is up in the air because of this crazy lockdown.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but if you ever want to vent, don't hesitate to send me a private message via this site. Just click on the envelope underneath my name. PMs via this site don't expose the email address of either party.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.