Depressed

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 26 year old male with no history of smoking. From last two months I have been experiencing trouble swallowing. Food seems to get stuck mid way in my chest before going down with slight pain. Apart from that I feel burning originating from same site where food stuck and radiate to whole chest even to the upper back.

Have been to two doctors they termed it acid reflux and put me on PPI. They haven't helped so far. Whenever I Google my symptoms ends up at esophageal cancer. Whic is freaking me out. Also I have gone through a barium swallow test which came back normal. Does a normal barium rule out cancer? Or I still have to go to endoscopy. Although docs think they are 80 percent sure it's acid reflux. But my dysphagia is becoming more and prominent.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

i know now it’s scary, but the worst thing is diagnosis by google. You really need to get this thoroughly checked out. The endoscopy , while unpleasant will at least give you the answer then you can know for sure.

i had another scoping yesterday to dilate my oesophagus, please don’t leave it through fear.

very best wishes and here if you need to chat.

Terry

• Posted

please have the endoscopy, it is the  only way to be sure, I have had this cancer and am            alive and well, it is very rare in people your age , but the sooner it is found the better, it is much more lightly to be nothing serious so please don't worry.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I hope you are doing well.

My doctor saw results of barium swallow and he said no further testing is needed. He said hez more than 100 percent sure that it's acid reflux. But I still have dysphagia which got worse nd better alternatively. I am prescribed with one month of ppi now.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I hope you are doing fine. I too want to go through endoscopy but not getting referral. The doc I'm seeing seems to be pretty good as he performed throat endoscopy(the one done to look throat and upper part of esophagus). On the basis of this and normal barium swallow he said we can rule out any structural cause of dysphagia. Should I change my doctor or stick with the ppi regimen to see if my dysphagia got better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.