Depressed and lonely - need help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. I just stumbled upon this website and decided to ask for some help.

I am 18 years old and have been depressed for about the last year and a half. I was self harming in the beginning, something which i haven't done for a while and feel that I am past. I have no close friends and its been that way for a while. I feel incredibly lonely which causes me to feel horrible and I end up crying a lot. I have a boyfriend but its long distance so this doesn't ease much of my loneliness since I cant see him very much.

I honestly dont know what to do. Depression and mental illness run in my family but I feel like I cant tell my parents out of fear. They see me as the "normal one" and have set unrealistic expectations for me to have no problems. I hide my sadness around them and end up taking it out on them. I have thought about getting help but I'm unsure. Any advice would be great.

Thanks. 

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You should really tell your parents as I am sure they will understand being that they are going through it themselves, but if you really feel like you can't you should go see a doctor were eveything is confidential and they would be able to give you the right advice as to what is best for you to do next.

I really do hope you get some help from this

Take care of you

• Posted

Go see someone for some relief! Maybe some meds would help! Do not let this go untreated!
  • Posted

Hi Moon-df

Please see your GP to get help with this. it will help in the long run i promise.

take care

• Posted

Hiya,

Sorry to hear you're feeling this way. I too have suffered lonliness and its horrible if you feel you have no one close to truly relate to. Maybe your gp will be able to guide you in the right direction. If it gets absolutely too much for you he may suggest meds..but before you take that route, have you a hobby or anything that you take a strong interest in?? I say because maybe you could search for groups near by to be around like minded people. Even make new friendships. Keeping yourself busy with things or people you love and enjoy may lift your spirits enough to pull you out of this horrible depression. Obviously anything you do to help yourself weather it be your gp, jogging or exploring new things will take time and patience to slowly get you well again.

I really hope you find some peace of mind. Depression is the worst pain there is in my opinion..and its 100% possible that all the years ahead of you can be happy and successful ones

Sending positive energy and good thoughts

Take care and be kind to yourself

Xoxoxo

• Posted

Hi Moon - sorry to read of uyour situation. Step one is to visit your gp and ask for a referral to a counsellor/psychologist. It is important that you have someone who you are able to share your fears and sorrows with. that counsellor/psychologist will ascertain whether you are a candidate for medications and if so, will refer you to a psychiatrist to evaliuate which meds are best for you. Meds are will help level your mood so that counselling can be done from an intellectual rather than emotional basis. You will learn things about yourself that will help you identify triggers for your depression.

It's concerning that you have history of cutting. You will have to reveal that aspect to your counsellor/psychiatrist. Telling your family is your personal decision, but the fact that depression and mental illness run in your family could indicate a wealth of information is there for you and you maight be surprised at the level of support and understanding you will recieve.

Being friendless and alone is a burden and it is more common that anyone thinks - especially in this age of distant connection like we are doing here. Depression exacerbates that disconnect. I wonder if you have shared your feelings on these matters with your boyfriend?

First thing though is to get that counsellor. You will feel better about things and will have a space in which to discuss your fears and find solutions.

Be kind to yourself and all the best for the future.

• Posted

Hello , I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through . It really takes a lot of strength go through through the rough patch That you're going through . The struggle is defiantly real, depression makes you feel alone but just know that there's help out there ! I've been going to a therapist who specializes in treating depression , anxiety and OCD and it's worked wonders , please hang in there ! I suggest you start looking for someone who can help you out with this hard time , just talking about stuff that you don't feel comfortable telling your parents will make you feel less alone . They will guide you in the right direction and get to the core reason why you're feeling however you're feeling ?? Wish you the best of luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.