Depressed at my elimination diet outcome

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm just so fed up and frustrated with all of this. After a lifetime of gradually worsening GI problems and a year of horrendous skin problems along other random issues (fatigue, sinus infections, tingling fingers, palpitations etc), it was suggested to me that I could be coeliac. It really did make sense when I looked at the pattern of my problems and my diet. I requested testing, however, my test was messed up (I didn't know I was getting it and hadn't been eating gluten consistently) and the GPs at my practice just seemed to be clueless. I eventually persuaded one to refer me to gastro but knew it would be a lengthy wait so in the meantime I started a systematic elimination diet (I know this is against the advice for being tested for coeliac but I was desperate to get healthy as I honestly felt like I was dying, plus I was worried about how long I'd been off work). It's been 5 months and I'm still waiting on my gastro appointment and so far my elimination diet seems to suggest I can't eat gluten, dairy or corn. When I eliminate these 3 from my diet, I feel amazing. But when I eat any of those 3, I'm just a right off for days.

I just feel so devastated that my diet has to be so limited. I hoped that it would 'just' be gluten but I was testing corn today and have had to stop after one meal as I'm getting all the same symtoms I got with gluten and I just can't face it getting any worse today. I know everyone with coeliac or other similar issues has to eliminate foods and I was expecting at least some restriction but I've just never really faced the reality of it until today and I'm jsut so upset that it's looking that my diet is so permenantly restricted. I totally appreciate that I'm fortunate that I can feel very healthy just by controlling my diet and I don't need any medication but on the other hand, I just feel I've lost a huge part of enjoyment in my life. That I will not be able to eat based on preference but due to what I can eat.That I'm going to always be the fussy one that has to check with waiters or not eat in certain places and dictate what people can feed me I think it also all goes against my strong desire just to please others. I'm going to have to refuse things and speak up. 

I think my emotions also get a lot more heightened when I'm having a food reaction so that's not helping either. 

I know there are lots of gluten free and dairy free foods out there but one issue for me is that so many contain corn so they're off the menu for me They are also so ridiculously high in carbs and fitness and nutrition is my main hobby so I'm not wanting to pump all those rubbish empty carbs into my body. 

I just feel so upset and depressed about it all today. I'm due to go on holiday next week and I feel like there's no point as I'll not be able to enjoy eating out- I'll just be viewing each meal as a potential ticket to 2 days in a brain fogged mess under the duvet. 

Can anyone give me a glimmer of hope?!! 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi bettybetter,

Please don't feel too down about it.

I used to suffer with lots of symptoms that sound similar to yours and went through similar diagnosis problems. So, after a pointless endoscopy I tried the elimination diet and soon became apparent that I could not tolerate gluten or oats.

For the first few weeks I was so down, and for months I missed my favourite foods like mad. I used to avoid being picky in social situations and never spoke up because I felt awkward. And as a result of this I used to spend nights on the toilet with a bucket, spend the next few days in pain and right off the next few days. So I soon learnt that it just wasn't worth it to keep my mouth shut.

Now, a year on I feel so much healthier in my body and mind. I have more energy, I don't have 'a brain fog' I'm not continually bloated or nauseous, I don't lose days to the toilet, and I enjoy my diet. I assure you as soon as you've settled into your new diet and you feel so much better you won't even miss your old diet, and you'll wish to return to your old diet again.

I hope this helps xx

• Posted

I mean ** you'll NEVER wish to return to your old diet again!!!!**
    • Posted

Thank you! I actually feel a lot better about it all today. Physically I've bounced back quite quickly this time and I'm not feeling so wobbly. I think when I get a reaction, my emotions just go a bit haywire and I get really low about it all. 

Of the 2 months on my elimination diet when I've generally felt amazing, like the way I feel I should feel. So I am very thankful that I can feel that way just by taking out gluten dairy and corn. I'm hopeful that as my body gets better, I may end up being able to eat dairy. So I'll just keep to the diet and try it every 3 months or so. I'm so glad I'm ok with dark chocolate or I just feel I'd have nothing! smile

• Posted

You will start to get used to it - my 9 year old has been coeliac for over a year and I am also totally gluten and oat free since 3 mths.  It is a massive lifestyle change and I won't lie it takes getting used to (however once you get used to feeling great and like a normal person again it starts to get easier).  Going out is a pain, you do have to find out which restaurants can do GF foods and some have greater choice than others.  Think about it like this - you might be the person asking the waiter all the questions (you are not being fussy for the sake of a faddy diet).  Your friends will understand - I'm sure they'd rather go out with you and you feel good, than make you sick by eating the wrong thing and ruining your night and next few days.

Also there are some great GF cook books (and I'm no cook) so you can make food which isn't loaded with carbs/ calories (look for the flour mixes without corn).  I have actually lost nearly a stone going GF as I've found I'm not eating all the pasta, noodles and sandwiches that I used to and my stomach is digesting food more efficiently.  You can eat plenty of dishes, roasts, casseroles, risottos, salads, omelettes, 

Hopefully, you'll start to feel a bit better about the situation, but you are going to have days where you think it sucks - my daughter and I have these discussions usually when someone else gets to eat one of our favourite foods!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.