Depression after HSP stabilised

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anybody been diagnosed with depression alongside their HSP? Apart from talking therapies any success stories to kick start happy hormone / serotonin again?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

My daughter was nearly 12 when she first developed HSP. Roll on 2 years of absolute nightmare my daughter is at present clear of HSP but the legacy was appalling anxiety and depression. She was put on the mini pill which helped level her moods and has been having counselling and CBT for awhile. To be honest the therapy hasn't made much difference so i have made contact with a clinical hypnotherapist who believes she can help address and help her anxiety. She had a very bad relapse of the HSP in february this year...worse , if possible, than initial onset. I think this condition is really awful and to be honest the medical profession we have seen for two years do not understand or appreciate just how awful it is for the patient and how they are often left with horrible after effects.

I am praying she has a positive experience with the hypnotherapy. She hasn't attended school since february and if this doesn't work she will be home schooled til the end of GCSE's as the stress of school is overwhelming for her and us as a whole family.

I would be really interested in hearing anyone elses experiences in helping their recovery.

Good luck Lucy.

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

My daughter also developed HSP aged 12 and she is now aged 15 and we still have it. It has improved considerably but if you had asked me this 1 years ago I would never have believed it. In terms of medical professionals as far as my daughter is concerned we deliberately asked to be referred to a major teaching hospital and we travel 2 hours to get there. PubMed is a great site for telling you where the doctors that do research in HSP are working. Then we asked to be referred to a hospital which knew about this condition. You are correct though as very little is really known about it. Every child is different but I had to change the way I approached this condition because everytime we thought it was getting better it took a step backwards and it was emotional exhausting for her and the whole family. Now we take every day as it comes and we are seeing improvements. She has for the first time gone back to school full time in year 10 so please don't lose hope. 

Lizzie  

• Posted

I have found being on prednisone doesn't help with bad moods. Also after I have weaned off prednisone I still get really depressed as a withdrawal symptom. The care I have received from medical staff hasn't really been helpful and I feel a lot of doctor's could have done a lot more. It can get you down really easily when it doesn't seem like there is an end to this, but definietly see a pychologist as I have found my therapist has been a good support, especially because it can be hard for friends and family who don't understand your condition

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.