Depression phase

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone it's Manny again. Well it's been 13 weeks from my TKR and 4 weeks from my Orthoscopic Manipulation. I've been up and down

less pain at times and then it hits me like a rock that bring tears at time. I went to the beach for the 4th of July with the kids and wife and was miserable very uncomfortable in pain cold and covered like it was winter and depressed cause I could not even play football catch with my son and grandson. I felt like the biggest looser. 30 years in the Military always felt with so much control and strength and now look at me. When will this stop. Very depressed I reached 105 degrees at therapy but when I try bending my leg with no rope just my leg strength I only get 95 degrees. Getting it straight is 5 degrees not a problem. Am I on track or not. If im not exercising my knee feels so tight. I need some feedback cause I feel very lost right know.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Please get help for the depression.  I have had MUA too and it did not work at all so you are way ahead of me.  Try to think of something you can do that you could not behore the operation.  Keep going out and in company.

I cry a lot but find I can put on my public face when with others

big hugs

C arol, Scotland

• Posted

Thanks. The physical therapist said I'm doing real good it's just going to be a long process. Why don't I feel that way. I talk to my sycologist about my anxiety and I have informed her about how I been feeling and she is helping me mentally it's just physically that's hard for me being so physicall before.
    • Posted

I cannot cope with the thought of being disabled!,, i want to ride my bike  - to go back to my dance class, to play onthe floor with the kids.    

I go to my gp tomorrow to ask if there is a next step

• Posted

I understand I love riding my mountain bike go hiking. Me and my wife love to dance Salsa and everything. And I'm so scared not to be able to do those things again. Today I went to the movies for the first time sence my TKR and there was a ramp and stairs. I thought if I am permanent disable ok to take the ramp. I took the stairs cause I need to strengthen my leg and I try to say this is temporary not permanent.
  • Posted

Hey....don't set yourself up for failure. I am 16 weeks post TKR and 2 months post manipulation. Still not feeling the best. All my friends wanted me to go to beach and watch fireworks. I said no and watched them from pier. Last thing wanted was to be in s crowd , trying to sit in the sand with lots if people. We know our limits. It's ok to stick to them, keep up good work 😊
  • Posted

I am into month 10 and no one can/will give me a reason for the lack of bend.  The surgeon gpstopped the mUA but does nor want to see me again and no explanation as to why my leg wont bend..

i still excercise, drive, walk, go out and about so will not give up but feel let down

• Posted

Hi Willdo

Please please please go and see your gp for depression, all of us on this forum has had ups and downs but please go and see him/her if you cannot get out of this low.

We are all here for you, as we all know what its like to have problems with the knees.

Only yesterday i was sat here bawling, and then today, i think to myself, well im alive, got a good hubby, got good friends, got this forum which does help, and i know there are people on this forum that live alone and have to fend for themselves, so i count myself very lucky.

SORRY, didnt mean to sound like i was preaching at you, its just how i see things for myself.Gill

• Posted

Hi Wildo

No one tells us that depression can be a major part if this surgery. I am 57 and 17 post op bilateral TKR. I got very depressed around week 4. U went to my GP and she did give me a low dose antidepressant for a shot time..,,,2 1/2 months.... I'm off it now. It definitely helped. I think part of the problem, at least for me was my expectations. I just thought I would get through this easier. That I was strong, etc. Well it's been very hard and I was very disappointed in myself, which I know is not completely rational. I needed some help to get out of that dark place. I am much better now though I still have days. I've tried to start living my life even though my recovery us not complete. I've also started going outside more, which has helped. This blog has also helped me a lot! Also, remember with this type of surgery, for most if of us, it trul us 2 steps forward and 1 step backward. I hate that but it has held true for me. Keep asking questions here and vent if u need too. Again, don't be afraid to ask for help from your GP. It is a lot easier to go through the rehab when feing better mentally.. Believe me. Take care Joyce

• Posted

Thanks everyone for really caring. My Sycologist said I was more mad at myself then depress because I was not able to play football catch with my Son and grandson. I'm not given up. I have great support from all my family. I just expected to be somewhat normal by now and it's just taking a longer time to heal with me. As we all see not everyone is the same and I'm going through a rough patch but I'll survive. Thanks to this site and my family.
  • Posted

Hey, 95 isn't that bad, and it will go on getting better.  I can imagine it must be hard when one has been very active  . . I've never been much for sport except riding horses, and I know that is totally in the past now . .something which does cause sadness.  You will get better . . I'm now at six months, and I[ve noticed that the knee is no longer my main preoccupation in life.  I actually forget about for long periods, and it's now a part of me, rather than an alien screaming for attention all the time!  These last couple of weeks I've been unable to walk much because of a problem with the ankle on the good leg, and I've noticed the stiffening and tightness =above the knee again, so it does look as if exercise is going to be part of life for a very long time, but that has to be good for us, doesn't it!  Maybe you should see your doc about the depression, as there is help available.  I hate not being able to run around with my grandchildren but I'm not going to do anything to jeapardise my damned knee now that I've got it almost back to normal!  I hope you soon begin to see the light at the end of this horrible tunnel!!!
    • Posted

I hear ya re the horses! I've got 12 of my furry, four legged companions hanging around outside in the paddocks, waiting for me to come play with them again. I'm seriously working out which ones to move on and rehome because there seriously is no way I ever see myself out there working and playing with them again in the near or distant future. I'll keep a couple of the oldies but that's it. 

Cheers,

Lindy

• Posted

TWELVE! Wow, that is a lot of work and expense.  No nice green meadows here in Tenerife, so  horses have to be mainly stabled and exercised daily, so I know that's now in my past (damn!)  Nice memories though . . .. :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.