derby people with tinnitus

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm a young mum living in Derby suffering from tinnitus had it about 2 year now, still struggling with it daily.

Is there anyone out there that can help and advice me I'm so lonely dealing with this on my own.

I have it in both ears I got it from tmj and nothing is helping me I just won't to end all my suffering it's gonna be one lonely Christmas for me again.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a hearing department in your hospital ? Ask your G P for a referal to it.

You will get advice and help from them .

• Posted

Hi Leanne. Hope you're ok. I'm 27 with a 3 year old little girl and I got tinnitus after a period of stress and a sinus infection back in February. I have a high pitch and also a low rumbling vibration which is horrible. In the beginning I also wanted to end my life - I fell into deep depression and anxiety and was put on diazepam for a while to calm me down. I'm still on antidepressants which seem to help me cope.

In regards to coping here are some things that I do:

Have a fan on all night (pointed away from me) it doesn't completely mask the noise but it's enough to send me to sleep

Mindfulness meditation - I do this every day, it's about accepting things such as tinnitus and not becoming stressed about them

Exercise - if you calm your nervous system down your tinnitus might also calm down a bit and exercise is a great feel good drug

I went back to work - distraction is key! If it's bothering just mask the crap out of it with music or radio etc until it doesn't bother you so much. I still hate being in silence so I always make sure the tv or radio is on.

Going outside is another great way - I don't hear mine at all outside! Especially when it's been so windy!

Have you tried pillow speakers or a sound machine? Anything to help distract you from the noise. In order to habituate you should set any background noise just loud enough so you can still hear the tinnitus but in the beginning my tinnitus noise would distress me so much I just masked it completely.

You've had yours for two years - has it recently got worse? If you're stressed and you got it from TMJ you might be clenching your jaw at night. Do you have a mouth guard and you could also go to the docs and ask about an antidepressant that has muscle relaxant qualities too like amitrtyptline.

I hope some of this helps - do you have a boyfriend or partner to talk to? Have you joined the British tinnitus association and gone on their forum? There's some amazing old timers on there who helped me out of a black hole when I first got it. They also have a free helpline for advice etc.

Kerry xx

• Posted

Hi leanne08979,

You are not alone in this. I suffer from it 24/7/365 due to damage from acquired recurrent cholesteatoma in both the right and left ear now.

I always try to find something to focus my mind on as I find this helps me not to focus on the two different pitches I have for each ear.

Is there anything you've tried?

- B

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Menieres and lost all hearing in my right ear so I suffer from tinnitus as well. With Menieres they say low sodium and little to no caffeine...can't say that I have been that great about the sodium but I totally cut caffeine out. I later read where caffeine can make tinnitus worse. I believe it because ever since my tinittus has remained a low hum/hiss...there are times where it gets loud for no apparent reason but then it suddenly goes back down. Everyone is different though of course...what works for one might not for another. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.