Dermatitis, HELP

Posted , 7 users are following.

So, last Wednesday my face started to become bumpy and sore, then suddenly large, red blotches began appearing. I've just turned 17, this appeared a few days before my birthday 😔 ANYWAY I've had this for a week now, I went to my doctor on Tuesday to find out what it was as I had recovered from Pityriasis Rosea a few days prior to this, to find out what it was, he told me it was Dermititis, prescribed me some steroid cream and told me it should be gone in a couple days.. BUT it's only getting worse. It's destroying my self confidence as it's all over my face and neck and anything applied to it like cream or moisturiser burns and stings like hell! My face is tight and insanely dry. I've narrowed the cause being as I recently brought different makeup wipes, as I have sensitive skin and the new ones were different. I've now changed my makeup wipes, buying my usual ones but nothing is improving. PLEASE HELP ME, any recommendations of how to clear it up a little faster would be so much be appreciated, thankyou in advance for your support 😊

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ive been there before. You should read one of my earlier post. I went through that about at your age. and got presribced hydrocortizone creams and what not. These are creams that have steriods in them. They worked wonders but!! im going through pain now 10 years later. 

Pretty much those creams worked that have steriods in them my skin would clear up but always be a little red here and there. What happens though is people start relying on these creams like i did and pretty much the only thing you start doing is applying these creams to keep the  redness and acne down.. Now this happens a lot later. But pretty much it got to the point by 19 to 21 i would just apply this cream to my face after shower each night after bed. 

Well now years later i applied creams for almost 10 years. they werent  meant for long term use.Now i have something called steriod induced rocacea because of these creams and now im going through really bad symptons and flare ups... But this should only last for about a year. Heres more info about them here. 

Its also called red skin syndrome. ITSAN.org  

www.red-skin-syndrome.com/

i would preferrably talk to the doctor in the second link if you could he does do over the phone consults. hes the one that discovered this sympton. 

bad thing his phone consults are pricy but im already on recovering learning of what an idiot i was for listenting to doctors when i was young lke you and kept applying all these medical creams. which your not suppose to do. 

Pretty much long story short.. according to this dr after the age of 19 the likely hood of bad acne and rocea dies out in everyones body 99.9% of the time... all these people that you see have red skin and bad acne after the age of 20 is all induced by these constant medical creams dermatologist prescribe. what happens is you induce acne worse and roscea. 

What happens is you go through red skin syndrome and what that is, is you have to completley stop applying all medical creams and your body starts going through bad with draws . Its like your body is missing out on the cream. So you break out really bad in all these red patches... Im a mild patient compared to those links, my flares ups havent been so bad. But the first two weeks were pain. Where ever you applied the cream it spreads within 6 inches to a foot below that area. So my face was swollen like crazy looked like a 80 year old man. Now it flared down. 

But what happens is you go through a process of recovery of flare ups for a week then your back to normal for two weeks. you go through this depending how bad you applied the creams for 6 months to 2 years. 

So my recommendation to you before anyone on here prescribes medical creams or go see a dermatologist make sure they dont prescribe creams with steriods in them for long term use. Be real careful what treatments doctors give cause if you start to rely on it youll regret years from now. 

Reason your going through it though is just your age, it will pass trust me i went through it. And i know how you feel being young is all about whos who , who has what etc... Who ever tells you oh dont worry about those things ignore them. It is important your self appearance thats what being young is about its still what its about the older we get. 

This is the society we live in we should all want to look our best. Theres nothing wrong with that it makes us feel good to aim for our best. 

More and likely its your age and you might just have to wait it out. Or for me as you get older i know people say diet doesnt matter even those doctors i sent links on said diet shows no linking between acne and food. But i find that part bs from all the research ive done. Im a research fanatic and just not looking into forums where people give there opinion im talking about medical research reports. 

To me diet has a huge role.. theres been studies conducted because of the diet you eat you can produce more acidity, the more acidity you are when you work out and you get a workout where your whole body sweats the acdity leaks out and it creates an uncomfortable environment for any kind of fungus to live on the skin. 

I know when i get my diet on check, meaning start counting my calories, bag of veggies a day and dedicated to gym. My overall skin is always in its clearest shape. If you dont believe me look at every single athlete or people that are die hard work out fanatics or runners. I dont see one bit of acne on them. 

• Posted

I hope your skin gets better sooner rather than later! Luckily I'm "one of those people" who read instructions 5 times over and panicking when I take more than the recommended "one multivitamin jelly" so I only used the cream on my face for 4 days! I would hate to be in your position. Thankyou for understanding and I know it probably doesn't count for much but stay positive and good luck! 😊
  • Posted

Gee, so sorry to hear about this.  It sounds like it could be an allergic reaction alright.  Try some Zyertec and make another appointment with your doctor.  S/he may give you a different medication or refer you to a dermatologist.  If you have some skin problems on occasion normally, I think it would be a good idea to see a dermatologist as all they look at is skin.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Thankyou for your advice and support! So I left my make up off for all week last week and it went away while using the steroid cream that the doctor had given me. I restarted using my makeup and BACK IT CAME. I have huge red blotches on my cheeks and it's got large bumps on it again. I don't understand why, as I haven't changed any of my makeup products since last year and I brought a the usual sensitive skin makeup wipes I usually would :-( I've also gained a rather pale complexion, so another trip to the doctors is in store for me. Maybe another thing I can bring up. This sucks! But thankyou for all of your support again and hopefully this shall be gone soon and I can figure out the cause 😢
  • Posted

It definitely sounds like an allergic reaction now.  Remember, cosmetics contain all sorts of ingredients, including fragrance.  It could be fragrance in your cosmetics that is doing this.  I hope you figure it out soon.  Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Posted

I got a new cleanser today as when losing my previous one, it would irritate my face and burn, so I replaced it with a new one especially to treat dermititis, I'm going to give that a go and see if it helpssmile will keep you updated! Thankyou for the support guys!😊
  • Posted

So I used the steroid cream for a few days and it went away completely. I had clear skin after that. Last week on Wednesday I had an award ceremony to celebrate my GCSE results so, because I thought it was my foundation causing it, I brought a different foundation and used that - I had used it before with no problem at all. I only kept it on for 4 hours tops. When I wiped it off, my face was a little dry but I assumed that was just because I had to rub a bit to get all the foundation off. But now 5 days later, I can see it re appearing. It's appeared in a ring around my eyes, my chin, and little on my forehead and cheeks. I just don't see how so little time could cause it to reappear & the fact that I don't even know what's causing it is even worse :-(
  • Posted

So sorry that you are suffering . My daughter has the same condition and has occasional flare ups. She has now realised that creams make it worse as they feed the yeast responsible. Instead she bathes her face with pure sea salt and then if it feels really dry, she uses the smallest amount of the medication moisturiser possible. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.