Desperate

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I'm desperately needing help and after scouring the Internet can find no explanation for my horrific symptom.

I was first diagnosed with ebv/glandular fever 4 years ago and although I was unwell initially, I recovered into a semi normal state over a period of weeks, quite honestly never really the same though, I'd get annoying symptoms that would come and go, but for the most part felt pretty well and was able to work as normal etc.. until a year later and I got pregnant, I got extremely sick but recovered in 4 months. it was all pretty horrible, extreme fatigue and feeling like I had a hangover everyday for 4 months, then it went. I was left with chronic low level fatigue and never fully recovered to pre ebv levels, but for the most part again life was normal.

fast forward to 2 months ago, I get all of the same symptoms again after a traumatic event and think ok, here we go again. the first two weeks of illness felt like before, sore throat and terrible flu-like symptoms like when you are first coming down with it, then something changed. I felt a strange kind of anxiety feeling one day and then couldn't concentrate on anything, then I couldn't sleep, like my nervous system was revved up, like having speed!! this went on for 4 days without any sleep, I was climbing the walls. then extreme night sweats. Over the weeks it has changed and now for around 8-12 hours of every day or so, I feel like I'm being strapped to an electric chair and current passed through every part of my brain and body. it is utterly unbearable!!! when I'm in one of these episodes I feel like I'm never going to get better and I'm climbing the walls suicidal. it's total unrelenting torture. I get breaks, but during the breaks I get loads of other symptoms, mental weirdness, detached from reality and freaking out, night sweats, insomnia, racing heart, violent shaking from the inside out, sore throat, dry mouth, weird white patches on tongue, pain in neck, zero appetite, lost 2 stone in weight, dry cough that makes me gag constantly. I'm an absolute mess, I'm in total survival mode. I have a 15 month old who I cannot care for at all, she's in full time childcare and my partner does absolutely everything else while I just shake in a dark room. it's so extreme. Has anyone out there had symptoms as extreme as this?? ive dealt with this virus for 4 years and never has it done this to me before. I should add that i tested positive for active infection 9 weeks ago. Please help, I don't want to leave my daughter without a mum!!!

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Martine,

I don't know why mono does this. It lasts for awhile for sure. When I had covid it reactivated my mono and I got the anxiety, palpatation's and a tremor that I hadn't had before. They gave me lorazapam to take for the palpatations and it took the edge off. I didnt use it for long but it is good for taking the edge off of the anxiety feelings, they will pass it just takes a long while.

See your doctor and let them know all your feelings.

• Posted

Do you remember how long this extreme phase went on? I really just dont see any improvement at all in 9 weeks, like zilch improvement!!

• Posted

The first one was 11 months, the second one from May to October 1st. It started again in March and is only now getting a little better, the last two were after covid.

• Posted

did the symptoms remain exactly the same throughout that time? same intensity same symptoms??

• Posted

ive had it 3 times over 4 years, but never had a symptom so distressing, like being tortured! the first two times I was pregnant both times and it was horrible, but was a linear recovery both times getting consistently better and better as time went on. it took about 3-4 months for recovery both times. This time I'm nearly at 3 months and it's still as bad as week 2, totally unflinching or just when I have a less intense day and think just maybe it's peaked, the next day is utterly brutal.

• Posted

Hi Martine,

A little more intense after covid, the first 3-4 months are the worst, I feel better in the evenings and sometimes I have a good day and then if I do a little more its back to square one, probably when you were pregnant your immune system was lower, The symptoms are the immune system fighting the virus off, many days I wish it would be less intense.

• Edited

Hi Mono,

still utterly horrible, but I haven't been suicidal for 3 weeks, so I guess that is progress, although sometimes it's hard to see. I honestly didn't think I'd make it! the intense buzzing/vibrations in my brain and body are still there and the intensity dials up and down. sometimes it's so bad that I'm just climbing the walls and cannot even concentrate on tv or conversation. It's been 3 months now and it's been nothing short of a near death experience!! My baby is in full-time childcare as I cannot care for her and I've had to move out of the family home and in with my mum. My symptoms are just so many and new ones come up almost daily, whilst others come and go repeatedly.

*Continual sore throat all the way down to my thyroid area

*Proctitis

*Painful angry red vulva

*Dry mouth

*Low platelets causing bleeding under skin

*Horrific pain in my neck and head which is like intense burning

*General muscle pains that come and go all over

*Drenching night sweats

*insomnia

*fevers

*Psychological issues (detached from reality, confusion, memory issues, panic)

*White patches on tongue

*The buzzing/vibrations in body and brain

*Feeling like I've been poisoned

I feel like I don't know who I am any more, I'm absolutely terrified and heartbroken for the life I had 3 months ago, like it's gone and I'm going to miss out on seeing my baby turn into a little girl. I feel like this can't be normal and I'll never recover!!!

Any advice/reassurance would be most welcome!

• Posted

Hi Martine,

You are really going through it, I have the anxiety, palpatations, tremor in my left hand, weakness and exhaustion. We will recover its just such a long road to recovery. I had this before in 2016 and I recovered so I know that it happens. This started for me after a bout of covid in Jan-February of this year.

• Posted

when you recovered the first time, did all the symptoms just go at once? How long did it take for a breakthrough and was it gradual or did it just happen? I've had these symptoms for so long without movement and it's hard to even imagine that they will ever go or subside! did you feel that it was permanent when you had it first time? I feel like my life is over and ill be sick forever!!

• Posted

Hi Martine,

Symptoms seemed to get better gradually and then went away one day. I am struggling now with mono after covid. They say to evaluate recovery on a month to month basis. You will recover it just takes a very long time.

• Posted

Hi Mono,

What were your symptoms? did they change throughout or remain the same? did new ones pop up and go throughout? I'm finding that I have some that are ever there and never budge and others that come and go and new ones that pop up that last a week and then go again. were you really unwell with it everyday all day or were there breaks? I'm sorry for all of the questions, it's just I'm having such a terrible time that I'm trying to gauge what others have gone through and whether it's like me if that makes sense? I don't feel fatigue and I struggle to sleep and definitely cannot sleep in the day, the illness and vibration in my body doesn't let me. I just can't find anything on this forum that matches how I'm feeling! I've never experienced anything like it. I honestly feel like I have brain damage that will never heal. I feel like I'm living in a nightmare. were you as unwell as this in the first few months? it's like groundhog day with no way out, like I'm trapped in my own body!! some days are so bad I really don't want to go on.

• Posted

Hi Martine,

Blood pressure up, weakness, fatigue, tremor in my left hand and arm, anxiety, lack of appetite, feeling of malaise. I have an occasional good day, but very few and far between. I fall asleep but wake about five hours later and cant get back to sleep.

Yes, I feel trapped in my own body too. I know this will go by eventually, it just gets very discouraging. I am trying to evaluate on a month to month basis.

• Posted

Does it definitely go? I am so terrified this is permanent, im just not getting any better at 3.5 months!! every day the same, just horrific suffering with no end in sight! I feel like ive no control of my own body anymore and I don't know who I am. I'm so lost!! Will this definitely get better??

• Posted

Hi Martine,

Yes, it will get better, It is a very long process and 3.5 months would be very early to see progress, it will happen though, On the worst days know that your immune system is fighting for you and that contributes to all the feeling that come with it.

What has your doctor said? mine says rest and fluids plus time.

• Posted

Did you have covid? Mine came back after covid

• Posted

He said its all post viral and its my immune system causing the symptoms. He also said time and possibly lots of it! I guess it's just that my main symptom is so extreme that living with it is just pure hell and total endurance. it isn't there all the time, don't get me wrong, I'm never symptom free, but the extreme symptom, which is the feeling like I'm being electrocuted comes and goes. sometimes it lasts for a couple of hours, sometimes twelve hours. sometimes it's utterly unbearable and I mean unbearable can't sit still pacing around the garden crying at 4am and sometimes it's bearable enough to concentrate on tv. it's so unpredictable, but one thing is for sure, that it always comes back! it's like being tortured honestly and in my good moments I think yep, I can do this, but after 12 hrs of torture, I feel utterly traumatised and think I can't go on. I honestly can't see how this is normal, or that there is any light at the end of this tunnel it's just so extreme, not like any kind of normal illness!! it feels like my life is ruined!! I'm constantly begging my family for reassurance that it will get better and I'm just utterly petrified that I'm stuck like this forever!!

• Posted

No, it was after a horrible withdrawal from opiate painkillers. I came off them cold turkey after a year at high doses because I all of a sudden became allergic to them! so went through a really bad time recovering from that for 8 weeks and immediately got it again. This time they actually tested and picked up the acute infection rather than just a recent infection like before. I recognised the feeling of the initial illness immediately, so went to the doctors to get a test. They confirmed active infection, but two weeks later it all changed. I can't explain it, it was like the initial illness went and something else came in, it started with extreme anxiety and an inability to sleep for 2 straight days and then I just got sicker and sicker and this vibration in my brain started and then this feeling of being electrocuted and like my whole nervous system with on fire and like my brain went all weird and like i was having an out of body experience and like brain damage. it's been utterly horrific ever since.

• Posted

Hi Martine,

I also go through hours of this feeling. I feel better in the evening. You will recover, our bodies are just going through the process, I have a friend who is just starting to turn the corner after six months. We will get there.

Mono re activates after stress so it makes sense, I think it has something to do with inflamed nervous system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.