Desperate for advice. Best home treatment for patulous eustachian tube?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

TLDR: Looking for some advise on the best regular treatment I can carry out to help reduce or hopefully eliminate my PED? I'm considering saline sprays but would appreciate recommendations if they have actually helped you.

I am aware there's no specific treatment that can get rid of PED but I've had this issue in my left ear for years now and I'm sick of it. my hearing in that ear keeps going up and down when I breathe, I think this could be due to the moving ear drum although I'm not sure. my hearing goes from audible to near-deaf over and over until I somehow manage to keep my eustachian tube closed for a small while, its a nightmare.

Anyway, I've tried nasal sprays in the past, with little effect and I believe they're more effective for ETD rather than PED specifically. I've already tried grommets/ventilation tubes multiple times in the past and they've only ever made things worse, just recently had them out and never getting them again as it made my tinnitus unbearable. Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

James

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi everyone, sorry I think I posted one yesterday but if it didn't show up then writing again.

I have same issue with ear completely blocked I had Tinnitus and light-headedness and anxiety .. my heart also start beating very fast. I went to doc he gave me Prednoslon (pardon spelling).. but another said that in Covid times, it's not safe to take that steriod as it weekens immunity.

After struggling for over a week , I was completely helpless took heaps of antihistamine and pain killers and anti depressants, steam, gargels nasal rinse, antibiotics but nothing worked..... but finally I found "Bhramari Pranayaam" .. oh my God, it worked like a charm. 1st day I did I felt my Eustachian tube open from inside throat and sensation of my humming travelling up to ear drums... and second day I did ,it popped my ear and haven't felt better in last 8 days !!!

please google how it's done.. and do it it's safe and simple!!!! just close your ears with thumb and cover your eyes with fingers all the way closer to where eyes meet at nose. (keep nose open).. and the take deep long breath and then humm loudly through your nose and slowly breathing out.. you can feeling humming is opening up brain and vibrations starting to travel through eustachian tube to ears. (depends how blocked you ear is !.. for mine I did 10 rounds and with every round I can feel vibrations travelling further up to my ear drum)..

good luck everyone. hope this works for you.

• Posted

Hello James

I read the other reply but I think it was meant for someone else. I have no advice to give you but am replying because I have the same condition. It took me two years to get a correct diagnosis even though I knew, from Internet reading, what the problem was. It started in earnest in 2015 but I had intermittent symptoms from at least 2005 so although I do not know the cause and I can never remember having more than one or two ear infections, I do know that it worsened slowly and progressively over more than ten years. I have not found anything that will help but I am surprised to read of your hearing problem as although my left eustachian tube is always open when I am vertical, it does not seem to affect my hearing and I cannot remember reading of PET affecting hearing. Neither of the two good ENTs that I saw said anything about it affecting hearing in the future although I did not ask a question along those lines. I did have a problem with hyperacusis around the time this got 'permanent' but that seems to have improved and it may have been due to stress. My eustachian tube closes, as seems to be customary, when I lie down or when I bend over, which they say is due to venous congestion . I tried nasal sprays without success. I tried putting on weight which one of the ENTs said would be sure to fix it and managed to put on about 4 kg but this had no effect at all; I did, nevertheless, once read a post from someone who managed to fix his problem by putting on weight. I was a singer - my talent and my joy - and the singing was and continues to be my greatest grief from this condition but I have so many other things wrong with me and my life that this has somehow faded in importance and I no longer try to find ways of fixing it but if it affects your hearing as you say it does, that is a different matter and I do hope you find a way of at least stopping that aspect of it. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Best wishes James,

Maureen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.