Desperately want to come off anticoagulants but dr says it's a risk? Please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

hey guys

i hope you are all well.

i am 27 and recently been realising the awful side effects experienced on anticoagulants i take. currently i am on apixaban but had similar experiences on warfarin, heparin, rivaroxaban and pradaxa which were even worse.

they include: depression, anxiety and many common physical issues as well. i dont know what to do as i really wish to come off them but would worry about the safety if i dont take them.

i suffered a vte 6 years ago to which the drs then didnt do much to look into the causeand assumed it unprovoked.

please help as when im off them the improvement in my quality of life is incomparable.

thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

i have same problem and for all the world would like to ditch these. i have tried them all and im sure they have made me get depression. i wonder what chance would be if i just stopped. of course drs throw hands up in horror but i am willing to take chance as had no events in five years. look forward to other comments.

• Posted

hey ann

thanks for your reply and i hope you are well. o think you know where im coming from about these but o can say 120% the anticoagulants anytime i came off them even for an extended period all these symptoms dissappeared and i felt just like my old self who never had back pain, headache, confusion, dizziness, extreme and i mean extreme exhaustion and fatigue not to mention depression.

whenever i stopped them, after two days i felt like a totally new person and it just kept improving. trouble is im soo worried about cing off them as dr wouldnt know. alos as i socially smoke this would be a worry too but i know thats just irresponsible.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. Of course, it is your decision whether to continue taking anticoagulants. DVT/PEs are serious - they kill hundreds of thousands of people in the US every year, and are the third leading cause of sudden death, after heart attacks and strokes. It's a decision you need to take very seriously.

I also suffer from anxiety (not related to medication) and I would suggest you speak to a psychologist if you haven't already. There are many techniques they can teach you to help you to manage it.

• Edited

Adame,

I know you have been on previously with the same concern. Again, it is entirely up to you as to whether you come off anticoagulants. As I suffered serious anxiety on apixaban I chose not to take them, I drink at least a litre of water, exercise and take natural anticoagulant supplements everyday.

As I said it is up to you, know one can say do this or that, it is how you feel, keeping healthy is always better than taking drugs with their side effects.

• Posted

hi Jen

once again thanks for your input i really appreciate it cause at least i know others understand what i mean.

i want to come off them asap maybe this week, but dont know what natural blood thinner is best and what dosage is effective enough thats the issue.

i found that turmeric is the strongest for blood thinning but whether or not it is safe i dont know and thats why im very worried.

• Posted

Bromelain is an anticoagulant, nattokinase, my GP told me to buy ginger root and make tea with it. I buy ginger cut it up and freeze it so it is always ready to use.

There are lots of natural foods that are good for the blood, google it but drinking water (with the ginger or fresh lemon juice etc) is important as is exercise. Good luck.

• Posted

you are blazing a trail for me here as imhave long suspected that the warfarin and other anticoag meds have been causing me major depression but i am not brave enough

to come off them.i suspect my dr would put me off their list if i do. do you plan to stop. its now five years since i had pulmonary embolisms and 15 years since a dvt. i have been on warfarin for five years and hate it. please keep us informed of your progress.

• Posted

you have extensive knowledge of anticoagulation. do you think these drugs are causing the depression and anxiety? And if so, is it really possible to use the natural alternatives you mention to replace the warfarin. have you done that and has it been successful

• Posted

Hello Ann,

I had a blood clot in the lung at the beginning of June 2018 and was prescribed apixaban for three months.

I had mild side effects at first - headache, sickness, slightly dizzy, nothing I could not cope with for three months, but after a month I had a pounding headache, felt really nauseous, the worst thing was I was shaking inside and felt really scared, my anxiety was through the roof. This tablet really affected my nerves, I was well beforehand.

I went to my GP and explained everything and told him I was not taking it again, he said "you are taking a chance" I agreed, he offered warfarin, I refused he then said "between us go and buy ginger root and make tea with it".

I knew bromelain is an anticoagulant, I then googled natural food and supplements which are good for blood circulation, drinking water and moving (exercise) is the most important things to do, as the doctor at the hospital explained. I still worry at times and think I always will as the clot caused lung damage which has not yet resolved itself.

I knew the dangers of pharmaceutical anticoagulants anyway due to what had happened to two family members who were long time users and understand why people fear stopping them. I believe in educating myself and understand the dangers of pharmaceutical drugs, sadly doctors just leave people on repeat prescriptions for years.

Well, that is my story and why I made my decision.

• Posted

wow your story sounds just like mine except im 27 and had a dvt and PE shower. can i please ask u what dose of ginger root do u take? and did your dr really say that??

anytime i told my drs and consultants they just wouldnt believe me and always said these things are not effective at all compared to anti coagulants.

trouble is i cant take them anymore and now im off them i feel terrified of a stroke if you know what i mean.

• Posted

Yes Adame, my GP really did say that, he was 73 and from the old school who did not believe in giving drugs if they were not needed.

I do not actually have a regular amount of ginger, I just cut them up, freeze and when I have a drink about an hour before bed I put a several pieces in a cup, pour on hot water, let it steep, then sip it after giving a good stir.

Doctors will only push drugs as that is how they are trained, we are allowed to refuse drugs, but we have to make sure we are looking after ourselves. Yes, I worry at times as it is a serious condition but, drugs are dangerous as well. My hubbies sister suffered a subdural hemorrhage from being on warfarin for years and my sister's husband died from a clot and he was on aspirin everyday.

• Posted

I been on apixaban for 18months due to a blood clot on lungs due to a fall dont have a history of DVT was unprovoked but Haemotolgy doc took me of 21st Dec as my D-DIMA is low 171 ask your doc for a blood test to see what your D-Dima is if low then tell your doc u coming of thats what i did and he put me in contact with Haemotology who took me of all together im fine now been of them got to have blood test in 3month to check D-Dima

• Posted

If you want to prevail, set your life in order. I mean look after your health and address the issues that cause the anxiety and depression, and confront them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.