Diabetic post fistula surgery...no home health nurse?

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi

i had surgery for an anal fistula and am diabetic. post op, i was given written wound care instructions that seemed copied and pasted and did not describe the extent of the surgery, how deep it was and how either i or my dad could possibly visualize and ended up going mostly unpacked and ive developed a severe infection, pain and drainage.

after 11 days my surgeon finally orders wound care nurse and says how could you have known? she claims

wet gauze covered in dry using sterile water and paper tape

my nurse on day 1 flipped. silver lined packing dry with 4x4 and cotton tape (i screamed trying to rip paper tape off an infected wound).

Ive had to contact Infectious disease doctor myself to avoid waiting for sepsis.

anyone with a deep anal fistula told to self wound care when wound is not able to be approximated...

UCLA you nearly killed me. thank god for patient portals as 72 hours has passed since cultures of infected wound posted and surgeon yet to make a peep

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.