diagnoised with pneumonia. Cipro prescribed. Having severe trembling & headaches

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was hospitalized for 2 days for pneumonia. After I was discharged I was given Cipro  500mg 2 x a day for 2 weeks.  I have completed a week at this dosage, however have been having severe pounding headaches & severe tremors.  I have COPD so I get lung infections quite frequently. But, I am pretty much over the Pneumonia. But  I cannot tolerate the tremors. I want to reduce the dosage as  I am having such a bad reaction to the Cipro.  I am told that this is the only antibiotic that will control the Bacterial Pneumonia.  I also carry Psuedomonas Aeruignosa bacteria in my lungs.  I want to reduce the dosage to just 500mg instead of it being twice a day.  I obviously cannot tolerate this dosage it was 1, 500.    I really do not want to continue with this medication at all. What do you suggest.  I will be reporting these side affects to the doctor on Monday . I have taken this Antibiotic before and had to stop due to the side affects they are always the same.  Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Good day to you, having had a reaction to CIPRO myself and seeing your comments especially the fact you have had reactions before, I would say is it rteally the right antibiotic or was it the first one they thought of. pester pester are there any tests they could do to find another one better suited. Make sure you fill in a yellow card about the reactions if in UK.

Hope you get somewhere and something beter suited .

• Posted

Because of the type of Bacteria in my Lungs Psuedomonas Aeruiginosa , Cipro was the only one the Doctors said would control the Bacteria. However I am already doing Therapy for the Psuedomonas. My pulmonologist has me nebulizing Gentimicin for 28 days on & 28 days off. The Cipro is used to keep the various infections in between in check.   But everytime I have used this antibiotic there have been negative side affects.  They usually put me on very high dosages the most  I have been on is 1500mg and that was reduced to 1000. But even at this dosage it is still having a negative reaction with me. 

I know that there are other antibiotics that will work to treat if any remaining pneumonia bacteria. I did some research to see what one would work and one is augmentin, which is hard on the stomach but, I have had no bad reactions to it.  It is obvious that I cant tolerate floquinones  at all.   I will be discussing another antibiotic with my Doctor tomorrow.  And  I am  from the US. But thanks Bob for responding to my post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.