Diagnose needed please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi..  right thumb has vertical line that is rather soft and causes a break right on the end by the line.  Any ideas?  Thank you in advance

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

II guess when I say soft, I mean the nail near the end tends to flake/crack right by the line and catches on most everything.  I can trim it down, but eventually as it grows out, it cracks/chips again.
  • Posted

This looks just like my nails did 3 years ago.  It was Lichen planus of the nails and, 3 years on, my nails have all but disappeared.  If it is lichen planus, you need early treatment.  My dermatologist tells me that the treatment (which is not pleasant and involved injections into the nail) is almost always successful.  Unfortunately, in my case, it wasn't but then I was quite late getting a diagnosis.  My GP practice had not seen lichen planus of the nails before and it was only because I already had lichen sclerosis and told them I thought it had crossed over into planus, that they referred me.  I attach a photo of my nails from about 6 months ago - they are much worse now.

• Posted

Hi DonH, for more information you could search the internet for brittle nail syndrome and onychorrexis.

Kathryn07219 mentioned it could be caused by a skin condition called lichen planus.

Other causes include a fungal nail infection, nail psoriasis, an underactive thyroid or overactive thyroid, reactive arthritis, trauma to the nail, prolonged contact to water and detergents, etc.

Since it only affects a single nail it might have been caused by trauma to the nail and damage to the nail matrix.  

An article in the national library of medicine (I will  send the link in a private message) suggests it might help to apply a special clear laquer containing proteins to strengthen the nail. Maybe you could apply such laquer to the tip of you nails to prevent breakage. 

• Posted

Earier I mentioned treatments that are supposed to strengthen the nails. You could have a look at these: Genadur and Nuvail. You might require a prescription for these. 
    • Posted

Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately with nails it takes months if not years to see improvement. I guess it is what it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.