Diagnosed seronegative RA this week

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I just wondered if there is any one else in the forum who is seronegative. I only saw the consultant Monday this week and though I sort of suspected it the diagnosis has still come as a bit of a shock.

I'm mid 30's, work and have 2 kids. Consultant is writing to my GP to prescribe meds so haven't started yet but feeling anxious about it all. Always been generally fit & healthy, then 6 months ago had a flare and so it started.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed but on the flip side feel if I tell my family I feel like that it seems an over-reaction

I've been lucky really in terms of symptoms, it hasn't been horrendous but I've known about it and have had to push to get referred. Just be grateful for any reassurance and to hear from anyone in the same boat. Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Just thought I d answer before going to bed! Yes- it really is a shock when the diagnosis comes, even if you were expecting it. It is an adjustment and you and your family and friends need to understand about it as it can be a very hidden difficulty.

i m sero positive, but from reading on this forum it seems you have done well to get the diagnosis and to begin treatment. I m so glad you aren't affected too severely . Do you get very tired?

when you are ready for it the NRAS website is helpful in explaining all sorts of things to do with RA including seronegative or seropositive and covers topics such as fatigue/ work/ exercises/ medications and so on.

Don't feel anxious about the meds. Many people find it makes a real difference. They monitor very carefully and can try something else if one doesn't work. 

Take care. Get as much rest as you reasonably can with work and 2 children! All the best.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. I do get quite tired, sometimes I just have to give up and rest but on the whole am managing with work. It started with what I thought was carpal tunnel but literally in the day or two after the wrist and hand / arm pain started the majority of the rest of my joints followed suit. My GP said it was a virus, so albeit a short one it took a wee bit of a battle to be taken seriously. I'm trying to be really positive about it, but swinging between that and feeling quite upset. Daft really cos nothing I can do to change the situation!
    • Posted

I thi k it s great you persisted with getting a diagnosis. They say early diagnosis followed by aggressive treatment is the best for reducing the effects of the disease.

Yes stay positive- but it s normal to feel upset / tearful as it s big thing to adjust to and there is loss to work through. before I had RA I was energetic and capable! I ve had to learn to pace myself, accept help, change my hobbies, shop online!. I made my part time work and looking after my grandchildren a couple of times a week my priority. My husband has helped me loads and it's been a big thing for him to adjust to too.

This time last year I was in a great deal of pain, unable to pick up my 1 year old grand daughter, had difficulty showering and getting dressed. One year further on with a biologic added to my meds I have been camping and just got a second hand bike. I am so much better- but pace myself still.

i am sero positive and think that means a more aggressive RA.

Hopefully yours will be milder and more quickly controlled, everyone s experience is different.  Hope your day goes well!

• Posted

Hi

i wrote a long reply but it says it's being moderated- not sure why!

so just a quick response to say I understand the pull between staying positive and feeling upset. It is a big thing to come to terms with. Have a good day today!

• Posted

HI,

I also am sero negative and it's good and not so good. The downside for me means I have symptoms of other sero negative arthropothies like psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis-so that means I have lots of lower back and some spinal issues, and a single large swollen toe--very painful-- at times. I have to have lots of spine and back injections, and have had radiofrequency ablation in my sacroilliaac joints so that I can walk. My RA isn't so visible, but my feet don't look so good. I only learned about this other cdomponant with my 3rd Rheumatologist, others just doidn't unerstant my back and hip pain.

Good luck! Take tghe meds, you need them.

Barbara--I'm in the US.

• Posted

Thanks Barbara. I do have trouble with my back but generally upper back. I can't remember if I mentioned it to the rheumatologist, I'm sure I did. Suddenly it all seems to have happened so quickly!
  • Posted

I was relieved to be finally diganosed. I have quite a few flare ups and find it hard when they do happen, It is wise to tell your family, there may be a time when you have a really bad flare up and you will be dependant on any help they can give and supoort you through it. like you i didn't want to be seen as someone who over reacts but when I was so ill with my last one i knew i had to be honest with myself and my family - it was a blessing, I could not do anything and was so relient on them all. It can not only effect you phyiscally but mentally so it is important that you do let them know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.