Diagnosed with Factor II or G20210A mutation

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just found out I am heterozygenous for Pro Thrombin G20210A mutations (aka Factor II).  Wondering if anyone has insights as to next steps, or added tests I should have ?  No history of clots yet, but family members with this same mutation have had DVTs and Stroke.  Any insights would be welcomed.  Thanks !!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Just checking to see if anyone has any thoughts on my comment above?
  • Posted

Hi tassy, 

I had a cvt 2 years ago and I also have the same mutation.

From what I have known all mutations are more or less the same but of course some higher than others.

My oncologist explained to me that it all comes down to luck, or being unlucky I would say, that a clog happens.

It's also in my family obviously, from my dad side, he has had a clog in his leg then 2 years later a pulmonary embolism so now he's on blood thinner for life.

In my case I was very lucky to have only a severe headache as symptom, started like an explosion like in the back of the head for 4 days before being sent to ER by a neurologist who had seen my CT scan.

There's not much known with these types of CVT or mutation for that matter, all you can do and stay alert or vigilant I would say, to keep clogs at bay as much as possible.

Stay very well hydrated, at all time and even more so when exercising, before during and after.

Stay active or be active, don't stay too long in seating or same position, exercise even just walking 30 mins a day matters.

Eat greens, overall stay healthy and as much as it doesn't guaranty you won't get any during your life it sure helps keeping it at bay.

Trust me I traveled for 20 years while crossing my legs, no drinking water, no exercise, had pregnancy ( higher risk for thrombosis) and yet never had anything until I was 42 seating on couch then standing uprolleyes

Go figure rolleyes

Having the mutation doesn't mean you will have one ever but surely it makes anyone being more aware.

I was told having cancer encline to get some, ens why cancer patient have sometimes blood thinners medecine.

Pregnancy is also putting people at risk, yet I didn't get any then, same

For birth control.

If you have any questions feel free to reply I will be happy to answer if I cansmile

All the best and don't leave this weight if you down, keep on your daily life.

You can't worry for something that may never happened.

• Posted

Sorry I forgot you asked about any test, there's nothing that you can or need to be tested for I believe in regards to that mutation, it's a very common mutation I was told, my oncologist said many people around have that mutation without having ever a thrombosis and never knowing about it, you need to be tested specifically for it to know about it.

Family member having thrombosis doesn't mean you will have any but yes it gives higher chance to compare to someone without a mutation, but again doesn't mean you will have one.

As I said earlier keeping healthy and hydrated is very important, natural food also that has blood thinning properties is also good but it's not proven scientifically to protect against any.

Just try to put the odds as far as possible and don't stress over it, I have personally moved on and keep myself busy in life that it doesn't come to mind often anymore, I just came back from holidays and flew without a shot of blood thinner, short flight only 4 hrs, I didn't even stress about it but I did drank lots of water and moved around.

Best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.