Diagnosed with osteoporosis following wrist fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have taken just one 70mg Alendronic Acid (Bisphosphonate) tablet and suffered 36 hours of terrible back, right thigh and right hip pain.  I cannot face taking another of these tablets next week.  Is this pain a co-incidence? or could just one tablet do this to me? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia

I've read quite a bit on another thread about AA causing joint pain.

The thing with me is that i have so much joint pain {before being diagnosed with OP}

its hard to tell what is from the AA and what is from arthritis and various other things

I stopped taking it because it upset my stomach.   Saw the GP and we tried another once a week one and it had the same effect

Now I'm on a third one but i only take this one once a month

Her idea was that even if it made me squeamish for the day I took it....at least it would be only once a month......So I would say go back and check with the gP

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Musculo Skeletal pain known side effect.  Switched to Risedronate with good results.
  • Posted

Hello Patricia Sorry to read you are having problems with AA I have taken 5 with no trouble Hopefully just a one off for you My advice is to drink as much water as you can afterwards You will probably spend more time on the toilet but better than suffering with pain My GP gave me this advice

Take care

Ros Plymouth UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.