Diagnosed with scoliosis after 6 years of asking

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I have recently been diagnosed with mild scoliosis after 6 years of going to the doctors. Currently going to the chiropractor to help with back pain. I have recently noticed that I can feel my ribs more on one side that the other (doesn’t look like they are protruding but can feel them more on one side below collarbone) is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think it probably is. I don't have that issue, but one of my hips sticks out a lot more than the other. I go to Bikram (hot) yoga, which helps tremendously. I was crippled by pain and now I'm completely able-bodied, and probably about 95% pain-free.

• Posted

Margaret, I gather your scoliosis is lumbar, as is mine.  I am, at present, also crippled by pain.  I tried an exercise physiologist but now the exercises make the pain worse.  If it is not too hard a question, could you please tell me what kind of pain you had and where it was located?  I will look into the Bikram yoga.  I will try anything.
    • Posted

sure! I had my upper curve fuse and Harrington rods inserted in childhood. What happened was, I also have a short leg and my continuing unevenness caused my tailbone to develop a curvature. I went to a spine doctor who told me the only thing they could do or more rods in my lower back or a narcotic pump. In desperation, I tried Bikram Yoga which is a gentle yoga practiced in a hot humid room. I had pain relief within the first 5 classes. It's been about five and a half years, and I'm still pain-free with my regular practice. I highly recommend it!

• Posted

Emma, you did not say whether your scoliosis is thoracic or lumbar. My scoliosis is lumbar but the body is three-dimensional and the top has twisted a little as the lumbar part curved so that both ribs stick out a bit but one side sticks out a bit more than the other.  I have not noticed it at the collar bone but notice it at the lowest points.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.