Diagnosed with TN

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with tn in Sept 2014. Dr started me on Tegretol bit was allergic to it. I am now Gabapentin 400mg which I take 2 pills three times a day, Dilantin 100mg which I take 2 pills in the morning , one in the afternoon and 2 at night and lyrica75mg which I take 3x a day. I've had several nerve blocks and the pain still cone and go. Can someone help me with this pain. I'm tired of being in pain. (HELP)

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mzdavis

Welcome to the forum.

Im sorry to hear you're in so much pain and I sympathise with you. Has your Dr referred you to a Neurologist and for an MRI scan? If not ask to be referred.

You will find a lot of patients on here all have different stories with their TN and there's good advice too on what you can do that may help your pain. One patient suggested taking daily cod liver oil capsules and since she has taken it she no longer has TN. I'm already taking it. But as I have a history of 9months with TN pain and then 9 months remission I won't know if the Cod liver oil is a success for me until beginning of March 2016.

Let us know how you get on and please do keep in touch. 

Kind regards

Gloriana

• Posted

Thank you. I'm under a neurologist care. I've had an MRI , nerve blocks , I take so much medicine. I have an appt to see a surgeon
    • Posted

Hi mzdavis,

When you go to see your surgeon ask him if you have to take so many different medication. You may be able to take one or the other just by increasing the dosage. I had side effects from Gabapentine so I was prescribed Pregablin on a low dosage at first and gradually increased to the maximum and I was fine. It can take two or three weeks to settle into the bloodstream, although I know everyone is different. Even though I was still in pain because of the low dosage I had to just take paracetamol. My last TN bout wasn't a happy one. I'm lucky at the moment as I'm in remission.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Kind regards

Gloriana

• Posted

OK When I go to the Dr I will ask. I am under a neurologist care and the surgeon is a neurologist surgeon. I will keep you posted
  • Posted

Hi mzdavis, you have not said if you Doctor is a Neurologist or a GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.