Diagnosed with type 2 brittle asthma, but currently struggling with severe chronic symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with type 2 brittle asthma about 20+ years ago. I take a cocktail of meds to control my asthma, however over the last few months following a very severe attack, I have had repeated chest infections and I am struggling to maintain a stable PF currently 250 and below (normally 450+) and I am experiencing frequent severe exacebations 4 ITU admissions in the last 4 months.I can't exercise even walking up a flight of stairs is a struggle. I am feeling seriously miserable and isolated. Is there anyone out there that knows

what I am going through that can advise. It is seriously "doing my head in!"

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also have brittle asthma. It has also taken over my life. Lost a lot of friends because of it. I went for a procedure. Bronchial Thermoplasty. I am still in the recovery stage, but already feel so much better!
    • Posted

Hi Breathe5 after 25 years of Brittle Asthma and loads of different trial meds as well and my normal meds my resp consultant is talking about Bronical Thermoplasty - how did it work out for you?
  • Posted

You should not take any risk and should cosult any health professional.
  • Posted

I am from the USA - maybe you now have primary immune disease.  Your asthma physician can do a test to see if you have this and if so can put you on IV gammagloublin to help assist you each month.  I use this but under the skin weekly.

I have had asthma all my life I am 71.  When I started out my journey there was not much out there for asthma.  In 1999 I was so sick then my dr gave me a phemonia vac and I did not make any antibodies so he knew I was immune deficient. 

• Posted

I just wanted to add that all of us that has severe asthma knows what you are going thru.  I cannot tell you that it is easy.  I am just grateful for some of the good days. 

Since 2000 I have been on Qvar and Serevent and Theo 24 and now it seems that my body may be getting used to this treatment because I am experiencing more low peak flows and my chect tightens.  Just know all of you that you are not alone in your fight.  Only someone who has asthma knows. From USA 

• Posted

Hullo Dinah,

It sounds like you are either in contact with a source of infections (usually kids! or old people, even animals) or else your immune sytem is so weakened that you can't fight even mild infections.

I am 68 had asthma since 16 and it is now morphing into COPD. I have taken decent quality multivitamins and minerals over the years, and organic yoghourt especially during and after a chest infection. If nothing else my nails are in beautiful shape and I have all my hair... wink. My peak flow averages 230, and the surgery tells me i have the lungs of a 90 year old.

If I could find out whose I'd give 'em back...

Too many courses of antibiotics are not good for you, nor Prednisolone. So perhaps you need to find out what foods, fruits, vits will help build up your resistance?

I have my own supply of both for emergencies, but I try to avoid using the antibiotics and use the preds minimally. i.e. I will start with one and see how it goes. If I get up to   2x2mg twice a day I go to see the doctor. 

I also think knowing the worst triggers for you personally and taking precautions to avoid them helps. I use a decent mask when doing anything dusty, and we have a positive pressure ventilation system fitted in our bungalow. This draws in air from the loft space and filters it through washable filters and forces air OUT of the living space rather than drawing it IN through open windows.

Not only does it eliminate condensation or mould, it is great during times when there's a lot of dust or pollen around because you can shut all the windows and doors (taking care not to lock family members outside) and breathe clean, filtered fresh air...

Costs about £400 fitted guaranteed five years. 

I would say that avoiding triggers does less damage to your airways (inflammation) and means that less medication is needed to get you back to normal.

Whatever that is for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.