Diagnosing primary or secondary reynauds?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all just looking for information. I have had reynauds for about 2-3 years now but progressively getting worse. When at home I need to run my hands under hot water as they turn white and go numb/sometimes need gloves on indoors too. It's mainly only one side of the body that's affected. Right hand can get res itchy and painful and occasionally the skin starts to crack. Is this secondary reynaud's? I also have a positive ANA.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, when you mention that you have a positive ANA what is it positive with? Usually this would mean a diagnosis of an autoimmune condition or disease. i have Raynaud's secondary to Systemic Sclerosis (Scleroderma) I have Scl-70 auto antibodies ANA x

• Posted

It's still under investigation. Possibly Lupus. Being re referred back to rheumatology.

• Posted

Hopefully rheumatology will be able to give you the answers you are looking for. Have you been waiting long for the referral?

• Posted

I saw a rheumatologist in September who initially ruled out lupus but i saw an endocrinologist due to other symptoms and he suspects lupus. So I have been referred which isn't until may now.

• Posted

There are lots of ways to cope with your raynaud's. Have you looked on the SRUK website? It has lots of suggestions and there are several medications you can try to see if it can cut down on spasms and help with you cope with the symptoms.

Sorry I can't help with whether your raynauds is primary or secondary but hopefully it won't be so severe once the weather improves. I wear thin natural fibre gloves and either sheepskin mittens or merino wool ones. I have also bought sheepskin lined boots as my feet are bad too.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the tips. I have read that secondary mainly affects one side. That's why i thought it was secondary. I will ask the Dr if she knows.

• Posted

secondary raynnauds affects both sides and tends to be more severe than primary. usually affects hands and feet, sometimes nose and nipples. Primary is normally less serious.

• Posted

Hi the Dr said it is primary just now. She has given me a prescription for nifedipine. So will see if that helps a bit.

• Posted

That's very good news Jennifer. I have used nifedipine for 7 years. It will help with the pain and spasms. You may get a headache with it for a few weeks, as it dilates the blood vessels. This is completely normal.

If you can afford to invest in some thermal vests and leggings to wear as a base layer, it's important to keep a warm core. I like m&s heat gen ones, they are fine and pretty.

Stay warm and cosy 😊

• Posted

Hi the Dr says it could lower blood pressure too so to have that checked in a few weeks. The problem with layers is i have unbearable hot spells now. Even in winter. So I need a fan on and windy as open yet my hands are still cold.

• Posted

HI Jenn,

I've posted this before, I've had Renaud's for years and what really works well for me indoors are surgical gloves

They might help for now

• Posted

Hi the Dr is going to try some medication to see if it helps. What is weird is that it's mainly just one side of my body. Not sure if that means it's secondary or not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.