Diastolic blood pressure too low.

Posted , 6 users are following.

205lb male who just turned 30. I was prescribed medication about two months ago. I started with lisinopril but developed a cough. So I was started on Losartan 25mg. Lately when I’ve been checking my blood pressure at home my diastolic number has been too low. Usually in the 50s. Systolic ranges from 110-130. I don’t know what to do about the problem. I don’t think I’m experiencing any symptoms from it. Is that number too low? Anyway I can bring it up. Probably going to stop medication. I’ve lowered the dose to where I split it in half. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Fall123...First off., I would never ever encourage anyone to adjust their medications without their doctor's knowledge. That's playing a dangerous game. 

It seems your systolic numbers are great...As for the diastolic.; I'm not so sure about the numbers being in the 50's. Is your monitor accurate??? What kind of monitor are you using???

Do not take your bp readings if you've eaten within 30 min of taking the reading, drinking coffee/tea or alcohol. Also, don't take readings if you're feeling stressed or worried about anything. You should rest a good 5-10 min before taking readings also. If the cuff is too tight or too loose, you won't get an accurate reading. Take 1 reading...toss it away because it's likely to be inaccurate. Then do 3 more readings, each about 2 min apart. Total the 3, average them out,...this is your reading. You may have a monitor which will take the 3 reading for you, then give you the average. 

You could make an appt. to see your doctor about this situation, & take your monitor with you. It would give you a good indication as to whether or not the monitor is accurate. 

• Posted

I take the readings a few times throughout the day. I usually do it three to five times and get an average from there. I’ve had the reading in the 50s numerous times. I could go out and test it at a pharmacy on their machines to see I guess. Possibly buy a new one.
    • Posted

Fall123...I wouldn't be too quick at using the bp monitor at the Pharmacy. You don't know how often they are calibrated for accuracy, AND the cuff is used by everyone. Remember...we don't all have the same size arm.

• Posted

Best advice I've read on taking blood pressure at home.  I bought a monitor identical to my GPs, and took it in to check readings against hers.  And it's the third reading at home that's the one. 

• Posted

Losartan 25mg is a low dose, it shouldn't lower your blood pressure too much, there's probably something else going on, might be something you eat or supplements you take, what were your readings before you started taking medication?

• Posted

In the doctors office they were around 150-160/90-100. 
    • Posted

I’m not fully convinced that I have high blood pressure though. I think it’s anxiety in the doctors office. Last year I had a reading in the office of 122/72. I don’t think even if genetically I had a predisposition to high blood pressure it would increase that much in a year. I think it’s stress.
    • Posted

Do you have a BP monitor at home or have you had a 24 hour ambulatory monitor ?
    • Posted

If youi are getting readings of 150-160/90-100 at the Dr., but your readings are much lower at home, you could be experiencing "White Coat Syndrome".It's very common, & Drs are very well aware of it.

If you're nervous while at the Dr., it can cause your bp to spike like you wouldn't believe. As I wrote in a previous post., take your monitor to the Dr., & compare readings. If it's within a couple of points of being the same..its' good. You'll know then that your monitor is fairly accurate.

• Posted

25mg is quite low. I used to take 100 mg plus Verapamil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.