Did I have a seizure?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I started taking Elvanse medication (Vyvanse in the US) - over a few months its given me a few headaches but not much else. For ADULT ADD.

Every now and then, when standing up quickly after lying down for a long period of time - I become quite dizzy, and occasionally will need to support myself before regaining complete consciousness.

Yesterday - however - it was substantially worse.

My vision blurred, sound became distorted and I lost feeling in my body. I had leaned forward onto my bed to ensure I couldn't hurt myself falling, but the weirdest part came next.

I was dazed and confused - but I could tell I had no control over my arms. I think my legs were shaking but my arms were smashing around, hitting the wardrobe and I couldn't do anything about it.

Shortly after coming back around I felt absolutely fine, but I am worried, and I usually don't worry about these things.

Did I have a mini seizure? Should I stop the meds? What happened to me?

Thanks in advance for your time

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm sorry for your unsettling experience; it does sound like a mini seizure. I'm not sure that you can simply stop taking the Vyvanse or whether it's the type of medication that should be tapered off of. You should consult your medical provider and explain what happened. There might be another medication they can prescribe in place of the Vyvanse. To my knowledge, seizures can happen as a result of taking Vyvanse.

I would contact the prescriber and tell them what happened; better if you can speak to them in person. I would also call your pharmacist and ask about this; they tend to be very knowledgeable and it might be something that should be listed on your pharmaceutical record in order to avoid similar reactions in the future.

If so inclined, I'd love for you to write back and tell what you've learned from your provider. Best to you.

• Posted

Dear Aiden,

.You had a seizure ( uncontrolled movements). Speaking with your doctor about these episodes maybe more helpful. He or she may send you for a EEG, MRI or CT scan. It is so very frustrating when our bodies go amidst. We all want to feel "normal" and get on with our life. Don't stop your meds without speaking with your doctor first but do tell him or her details of what has been happening to you. Wishing you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.