Diet.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone eating an whole plant based diet, and gluten free?, if so is it helping with your condition?, in my case, I stop eating all Animal products and went gluten free, now in full remission for over a year no more medication, I was on sulfasalazine for 20 plus years and Benepali biological drug for 3 years, and now no medication and no symptoms, well worth checking this out.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I eliminated gluten, dairy and eggs as well as reducing sugar for 2 months and noticed an improvement in my fingers but it's difficult to find out exactly why.

I recently ate some bread (after 2 months elimination) and didn't have a really clear indication that it was a problem for Rheumatoid Arthritis in my fingers, but actually it caused some warning signs of digestion issues which I'd had previously so I'm staying off gluten.

Then 2 weeks later I had a tub of yogurt and noticed some swelling and stiffness the next day and continuing for several days, so this is likely a trigger. Also, the skin around my abdomen became dry and itchy with a mild rash, which is something I've had on and off for about the same time that I've battled with RA symptoms in my fingers.

I haven't tried eggs again yet, but actually I don't miss them. In fact I'm very happy with a mostly plant based diet, plus a small amount of seafood and chicken.

I previously had too much sugar in my diet as well, eating breakfast cereals and chocolate and "protein" bars all day. I've had chilblains on my fingers the last 5 years and my theory is that the high sugar levels in my body were damaging the capillaries in my fingers and making them prone to bursting with a change in temperature from cold to warm (which is what chilblains are). It's a winter time problem and I will know next year (I'm in Australia so next June/July) if my new low sugar diet will make the blood vessels stronger. I also wonder how strongly linked the chilblains are with RA in the fingers. Both cause inflammation around the knuckle joints, though the chilblain inflammation is itchy and also the skin ends up cracking open to create wounds. Whereas the RA is more painful and seems to "jump" around a bit from week to week affecting different joints.

I spoke with a rheumatologist 2 years ago when I had the onset of RA symptoms and they said there's no evidence that food can alter its effects, but I've heard so much anecdotal evidence from people who have suffered with the disease and found relief with simple dietary changes - I'd encourage people to try it to find what's best for them.

• Posted

amazing to hear. i was diagnose two years ago and now making changes on my diet to improve. i am still taking sulfasalasine and plaquinil but hoping to be medication free one day - can you share more details of your diet? and do you do any physical activity or tale any supplements ?

thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.