Diet and Nutrition recommendations for OLP

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I am newly diagnosed with OLP and new to forum. I am interested in foods that are helpful in resolving or not exacerbating OLP. Any lists of acceptable foods would be much appreciated Thank You!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi Claire. I was diagnosed with OLP by a hospital-based oral surgeon about a year ago. I had suffered with extreme burning pain in my mouth for over a year following oral surgery by a different doctor. Had never heard of lichen planus before! But because I have suffered with psoriasis - an autoimmune disorder - for many years, this oral surgeon informally diagnosed oral lichen planus. I did not have a biopsy to confirm, though I may do that someday. Anyway, I was prescribed an oral steroid gel, and it helped for a while, then stopped working for me. Then I did a bunch of research all over the internet, trying to find out some way to get relief. Somewhere I saw that swishing with Pepto Bismol would temporarily relieve the pain, and yes, it was helpful. Then I stumbled across a YT video where a doc recommended adding purslane to the diet. The scientific name of this plant is portulaca oleracea. So I purchased a bulk powder package of this stuff. I started with a small dose as recommended on the package, adding that amount to cups of coffee or tea twice a day. I have since needed to increase the dose to about half a teaspoon. Have been doing this for several months now and it really does seem to keep the pain at bay. Hopefully this will help you also!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.