Diet with hypothyroidism

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Being diagnosed with a underactive thyroid around 15 months ago i kept on as normal, no change to my diet and still drank wine in moderastion. I'm 38 male and very active, walk 8to 10 mile per day due to m y job, also go to gym and do martial arts. But the last month i have felt very tired, disturbed sleep and very fuzzy heads in the morning. I then looked into my diet and decided to go gluten free. Has anyone with hypo felt benifits from this? Also having my medication in the morning along with strong coffee i haeard is a big nono. When does everyone take there medication? i've changed to night time. Also does kelp tablets help? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You need to have blood tests regularly and become informed about what the results mean.  Wikipedia is good for this.  Without this its all pretty much guesswork to be honest.  I take my medication last thing at night and my endocrinologist says that's OK.  Kelp or the iodine can work but again, keep up the blood tests.
  • Posted

Hello Croixdawg:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA and I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease which makes me Hypothyroid. I also have adult type 2 Diabetes.

I take my thyroid medication at night. I prefer it that way as I have other meds that require food to be taken with them.  As long as you take it at the same time of day and on an empty stomach you should be fine.  I take my medicine with water only.

Diet:  I watch the carbs for me, as Diabetes control. I can have 45-60 carbs per meal only.  I have also used gluten free items and my supermarket now has a whole aisle devoted to it. There is a section on the forum called Alternative Medicine and many talk about following the Gluten free diet in depth.  It helps to wean off of the Gluten as much as you can. Gluten has been known to cause flare-ups in arthritis and autoimmune conditions.

Thyroid disease can come from family traits (DNA) and it can come from other conditions like Lupus, cancer, even certain medications can cause it. In poor countries without iodized salt and a source of iodine, thyroid problems can occur.

I am not sure if Kelp tablets will help unless your thyroid condition was from poor diet or no iodine.  Eating Fish provides a good source of iodine and most countries today use iodized salt.

Walking is great and that will help you keep your weight in balance. If you feel worse maybe you need to have your blood tested again and a adjustment to your thyroid medication may be needed.  We all have had to up our doses as we age.

I hope I helped you, Stay well,  Shelly

• Posted

Hi shelley

I really appreciate this asdvice

Thanks smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.