Digestive Enzymes

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have UC and IBS and get cramping every other day. I am not in a flare at the mo but still get these horrible cramps which can last hours. I take co codamol to relieve them. I have a referral to a dietician but unable to see her until end of March. Someone recommended Digestive Enzymes ( was it you MJ.)? Does anyone take these to relieve cramps and if so which ones would you recommend please? Very Very bored of tummy aches now,maybe it's normal for UC even in remission? Thankyou lovely people xx

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did your GP recommend co codamol? it is a painkiller that contains codeine so is addictive and also if taken for a long time it can stop working for you as you  become tolerant. I am sure you know to avoid Ibuprofen as not good with IBD. I wonder what others use.

Sheila

• Posted

Hi Sheila,yes consultant is aware. I only take max 2x15/500 every other day but nothing else touches the pain! Think it's IBS related so would be interested what others take??? Buscopan Colpermin etc doesn't touch it xx
  • Posted

Most of what I've read says Enzymes taken in pill or tablet form don't get past the stomach and most are pretty bad quality to begin with.

Look for foods that contain good enzymes like Saurkraut and Kefir. Warning though go slow if your body isn't used to them they can upset your stomach even more. So start with very small amounts,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.