Disc herniation lower spine?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone.. in summer last year I began with symptoms of a herniated cervical disc (currently awaiting mri results). I also had numbness for a few weeks in my lower left calf but this resolved and I didn't think anymore of it. I went for a run last week and the impact on my spine caused a flare up of my cervical disc symptoms. However I have also begun with sciatic pain in my left leg (mainly at night) and consistent muscle twitching in my left calf and pins and needles in my left foot. Am I right in thinking these are symptoms of a herniated disc or compressed nerve in my lower back? Thank you for reading!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

So sorry to hear that you have had a flare up with your disc symptoms and sciatica. This must be so awful and I empathise with lower back pain and sciatica having had issues with these things at various times, even though I've been very fortunate that I've still been able to be active and do things but sometimes it has still got me so down and found it hard to breakthrough. The mental side of back pain can be so awful to deal with as well as the physical pain of course.

I'm sorry that I don't have much to offer in the way of information regarding the symptoms as my medical knowledge is limited, I just hope and pray things ease for you soon and that this is a temporary setback - I believe you are going to get back on track again Sarah, just maybe watch with the running and maybe it's just not the time for that at the moment. It's so frustrating I know though as someone who loved running in the past also.

I think I mentioned before that Bowen Therapy was something that has helped me greatly with sciatica, it really has been wonderful in taking sciatica away in the past for me when I tried all sorts of other things that didn't seem to work. It's very safe, non-evasive and would highly recommend it. Also the book I maybe mentioned before in my previous posted, 'Back Pain Decoded' by Robert Shanks is a really good one, I got a black and white copy for £20 (UK money) from Amazon.

Thinking about you Sarah and hoping this pain can cease and you can be seeing improvements and progress again very soon. Hang in there. Trusting God that you are going to be pain free again.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.