Discouraged

Posted , 4 users are following.

i lost my husband 1 year ago. My boss shot up so I went to dr to have it checked out. It was confirmed that I need to be on bp medicine.   Started on 28 mg of lisinopril and immediately had extreme dizziness.  Then dr put me just recently in Losartan/hctz 12.5mg and it is making me dizzy also put me on Bystolic 20 mg and at nite I can hardly function because I become so dizzy my bp has fallen from 210/100 to 127/77 plus he sent me for ultrasound of my heart and kidneys. But nothing came back all negative.  I am miserable. I do not have a life and cannot drive and do the thing I want to. I do not know where turn before the medicine I could do the things and go places. What should I do.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Poor you, Brenda.  But I would have thought a lower starting dose would have been less shock to the body and then titrated up up as necessary.  I’ve just heard today of someone who is feeling very poorly after a doctor started her off on 20mg Ramapril.  Another doctor has today halved the dose.   Can you get a second opinion from another doctor?
    • Posted

This is my second Dr. The first Dr wanted to wait 6 months more before he would help me.  I am losing patience. Why go to a Dr if they do not want to help the patient plus all the test I had and I do not know the results.  I feel like tossing the medication 
    • Posted

Have you had a 24 hour blood pressure monitor fitted, at least to see if your BP is going too low during the night hence the bad dizziness?  Also, have you cut salt from your diet?  Increasing exercise, losing any excess weight can all help.  Also, relaxation therapy such as Mindfulness.  
    • Posted

Have not had a 24 hour good presure monitor fitted but will question my dr about this. I do not like salt therefore I do not use it.  I have and am losing weight. Will try the relation therapy. Thanks for the suggestions 
  • Posted

Dear Brenda,

I am writing to you as I lost my best friend Bob 8 years ago and his wife is also called Brenda. What I read in your description of yourself is very similar to what our Brenda had to go through when she lost her husband. You do not need artificial medication but proper counselling during your bereavement period through friends and possibly counselling services or even Age uk.

Unfortunately it takes time (as in our Brenda's case it took her nearly 3 years to pull herself together ,she has calmed down and is fine now ) and you need to occupy yourself by taking up a part time job, socialize more and work as a volunteer at local charity shop ,as our Brenda did.

I am sure you will note the difference in your self and with your health, within the next six months .

wishing you the best.

• Posted

brenda047...Very sorry for your loss. You said 'my boss shot up, so I went to the Dr. to have it checked out".

I'll assume you meant to say 'blood pressure'. Question....how did you know it shot up?..Did you take a reading??

Usually, doctors will take a wait & see approach rather than automatically reach for the prescription pad & prescribe bp medication. You were under terrible stress with can & will elevate bp. After a few visits if the bp is still elevate, then a prescription is given. 

It could be that your bp fell too quickly which is why you're experiencing dizzy spells. You didn't say how long it was that your bp fell from 210/100 to 127/77. THAT is gigantic drop! At 127/77 I don't know any doctor who would prescribe bp meds with a reading like that, IF it is stable at 127/77. Also, you didn't state your age.You'd be surprised at the number of people who strongly believe that 120/80 is what bp should be. This has been ruled out by many health organizations. They have finally learned that age & live factors come into it. You can't expect a 50yr old to have bp the same as a 20yr old. It just doesn't make sense. Here in Canada, for someone who is in their 60's, it's quite acceptable for bp to be 140/90..yes, that's right. If an older person is on say 3-4 meds to control the bp & the readings are consistent at 140/90, they don't increase the meds because there's a risk of interfering with the patient's quality of life..they don't want them suffering side-effects when it could be avoided.

By all means keep monitoring your bp..if you have your own monitor., but don't get into the habit of taking it several times a day. Don't take your bp if you're feeling anxious, unwell, or worried. If your machine doesn't take 3 consecutive readings on it's own...take 3 readings individually...total them, then divide by 3. That gives you the average. OR..take 1 reading...throw that away because it very likely is not accurate. Then, take the 3 readings as I've just explained. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.