Dislocation sensation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.

My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed as hypermobile a few years ago, scoring 7/9 and we know something about the condition as my older niece is also hypermobile to a more extreme degree.  Up until now she's mostly only dislocated her thumbs but this week she thought she'd dislocated her knee while doing PE at school.  The school nurse said that she'd know and it would be obvious (which I realise!) if she had dislocated it but she says she had the feeling it was shifting.  Given that I've seen her thumb dislocated before and all she did was relocate it quite calmly, is it possible that even partially dislocating a knee when you have loose joints doesn't present or feel the same?  Any advice gratefully received smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi L

I am am extremely hyper mobile as was my father and my son. My son's knees dislocate quite easily; the last time it occurred playing badmington and, of course, he was in agonising pain.

Fortunately, i have not dislocated but I do over strain; when this occurs my knees swell; it is difficult to walk, especially after being stationary for a while, and yes, they do feel strange and click.

I think it more likely that she has strained as opposed to partial dislocation. I ice and take anti inflammatories. It takes a while to settle.

I am not a doctor and would hate to steer you in the wrong direction. But hope this helps.

Morrie

• Posted

Thanks Morrie.  She's also growing so fast that I don't think everything is catching up and holding it all in place properly. 
    • Posted

You're welcome. People think it is wonderful to be so supple when, in fact, it's a life long curse.

It's just something that you learn to live with.

Enjoy your day and tell your daughter I understand exactly what she is experiencing. She will grow to understand her own body and know her limitations.

Take care

Morrie💕

• Posted

Hi

I've been hypermobile since I was 13 (well that's when symptoms started) diagnosed at 17 with an extremely high score (can't remember exactly as it's over18 years ago but the consultant was impressed as it was so high😂).

My shoulders have partially dislocated several times along with my hips but usually a little pop they go back to normal very easy. I'm at this moment in bed with a very uncomfortable right hip though.while walking something felt wrong and I couldn't function my right leg properly nor could I lift it. Although it was irritating and uncomfortable I usually find its not extremely painful but today it's not easing. My husband was putting all his weight on my bent leg (I was laid on the bed trying to click it back in) and eventually it clicked but 10 hours on its either still not completely in or I've done some damage hobbling home from my walk.

People who have no clue about hypermobillityhypermobility don't understand That a sub luxtion for us hyper suffers can be pretty pain-free as the joints aren't supported by ligaments etc so the pop in and out at ease compared to a 'normal' joint.

I've recently been diagnosed with fibermyalgia and dosed up on some pretty good pain killers including liquid morphine and morphine patches and my hip pain is cutting through all that so u think I shall be going to my GPS Monday.

Please also be aware hypermobillity sufferers can be more likely to develop things like the fibermyalgia later in life, read up on it as many have symptoms for years without connecting the dots.

Good luck to your daughter, more Dr's are up on hypermobillity than when I was 1st going through it, 1 Dr told my parents I was putting it all on for attention haha.

Take care 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.