Distal Radius fracture with complications a year and a half later

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am really hoping someone can give me some advice. In January 2021 (Saturday) I had a distal radius fracture. It was an intra-articular break with impaction. I was treated in the emergency room with a closed reduction. It took the doctor over 30 minutes to do it. He gave me the number to an orthopedic doctor to call first thing Monday morning. I did call and was told someone would call me back. Late in the day I got a call back saying I was being sent to a different orthopedic surgeon and they would be calling me. They finally called that Thursday. I saw the doctor on the following Monday. I was put in a cast. Two weeks later at my follow up appointment xrays were taken and another cast was put on. Once the cast was removed, the pain was like it was when I first broke it. I could not leave it unsupported. I was not able to lay my hand flat for the xray. I was having several issues with it so my primary doctor ordered an MRI in June. The MRI showed I have a full thickness tear to my TFC, tear to my scapholunate ligament, distal radial ulnar joint instability, the medial nerve has morphology. There are other issues also. My primary doctor was very concerned but the orthopedic surgeon didn't seem to be. But then again she never really seemed concerned from the get go, will never go back to her. Since March I realized I was in trouble because I was not and still am not able to extend my fingers straight. They are bent at the PIP joints. I am also not able to spread my fingers apart. I was in hand therapy for a year which only helped minimally. I saw a neurologist and his conclusion is I have Parsons Turner Syndrome which is damage to the brachial plexus. I have mild atrophy in the hand, my wrist feels like it is gravitating forward and my fingers get very painful if I use them too much. I have a hard time to write and have pain every day in my fingers, wrist, forearm and shoulder. I have gotten a second opinion but it seems like doctors do not like to say what another doctor may have done wrong. Has anyone or know of anyone that has experienced anything similar? I think it is something in the wrist causing a claw hand and not being able to spread my fingers apart but I can not seem to get a straight answer from medical personnel.

Thank you!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

do you mean Parsonages Turner syndrome? which can be brought from many different things . i looked it up and it is complicated. very heart breaking to have so many wonky follow ups from a traumatic injnury . this countries health system in every area is suffering and patience are suffering the consequences.

• Edited

Hi Barbara, yes that is the correct name. It is complicated and honestly I think they can't figure out what is really wrong and what happened so they are saying this is it. I feel the problem occured when it was not pinned and plated. The orthopedic doctor never listened to me when I told her something didn't feel right. She told me when we got to 6 months past the break we would discuss options to straighten my fingers and to be able to flange them. At my 6 month appointment she told me there is not anything more she could do for me. I was devastated. I am 54 and have one more year until I can retire. Sadly my employer of 19 years has been awful as far as assisting me due to my hand issue. It is disheartening especially because I still tried my best at work and to get the issues fixed. It has been a very emotional 15 months. I work for one of the county offices where I live, I applied for early retirement /disability. I have been working steady since I was 16 years old. This has all been such an adjustment for me.

• Edited

have you looked into dupytrens contracture for your fingers. the pip joints bending are usually the signs and symptoms. i have DC the fingers can curl into a fist. there are alternative treatments to manage it. i wish I,had better news for you. ask anout a splint for your hands and warm melted wax lavender scent works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.