Diverticular

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone got to the point when diverticular keeps flaring up, do you just keep taking antibiotics or at what point does surgery become an option? Are there any other ways of helping it on a daily basis apart from the usual fybrogel and high fibre diet? Any help would be great 🤔

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

If you don't mind me asking what are your symptoms

• Posted

Not at all Kelly, I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago because of constant changes in my bowel habits, not able to go out as I couldn't control what happens. I was diagnosed then with diverticular, since then it regularly becomes inflamed and I get an infection, where I get pain down my left hand side and my upper abdomen, I used to have to go to hospital right away where I would be admitted and put on intravenous antibiotics, however now as soon as I sense the symptoms appearing I call my doctor and he gets me antibiotics asap, I then can control it at home, however lately the infections are coming more regular and my body can't seem to recover for a long time after each flare up.

• Posted

Oh I'm very sorry to hear that it's rubbish when you feel poorly all the time ????

• Posted

Well my doc had diagnosed ibs but I'm not convinced it's just that I get really bad pain about 2 inches too the right of my belly button through to my back it gets worse when I have a bm I instantly bloat and am pain for the rest of the day

• Posted

I also have IBS Kelly and that does sound quite a bit like that as well, have you had a colonoscopy? That's usually the perfect procedure to diagnose either, or, or both? 

• Posted

Hi yes I had a colonoscopy just before Christmas I'm still waiting for the biopsie result I didn't have any polyps I had a blood test for my liver yesterday should have results for that Tuesday I'm finding dairy is making my tummy ache worse

• Posted

I had to have my gallbladder removed, since then my liver function tests always come back elevated so I had to have a deep scan procedure done, which showed signs of fibrosis, I think it's because of all the medications though. I just had a ct scan which showed diverticular in the stoma intestine, which is the narrowest part of the bowel, I get confused by all the jargon, don't you?

• Posted

I don't have a gallbladder had it removed 12 years ago I think and appendix had a 8lb ovarian cyst aswell I havnt been diagnosed fibromyalgia I'm 39 and do feel in my 70s most of the time lol I am going to ask for a ct scan to check my liver pancreas etc I'm tedious of the whole thing

• Posted

You have been through it as well then? It just doesn't stop sometimes 😗

• Posted

No it doesn't but something's makes us get up and do it all over again I guess a sign of strenghth

• Posted

Well, what else can we do, there is some days when I just want to pull the quilt over my head and sleep the depression away, but that doesn't help. That's why I have not had a social life for so long, I really don't have the energy to get dressed and put that fake smile on, when inside your just wanting to have your old life back x

• Posted

I definitely understand few years ago I couldn't even go in a supermarket my anxiety was so bad lost my dad to pancreatic cancer only thing kept me going was my kids there 18 12 then I had a big gap and have a 4 and 2 year old aswell if wasn't for them I don't no what I'd do I have to constantly push myself cause they need to places and do things

• Posted

I lost my sister, then my dad, hen my brother all in the matter of a couple of years and I get you the only thing that kept me going was my 2 boys. Now I have a grandson I'm 48 and feel like 88, I wish I could do more with my grandson, but that's when I push myself when he visits, I don't know how you do it with the younger ones all the time, it's just a guilty feeling isn't it?

• Posted

Talking about anxiety, I can't even open my door as I get anxious, even ansering the telephone, I sometimes just feel like I don't know who I am anymore, the worst thing is I've had a family in law member accuse me of just being a hypochondriac as I have to attend hospital and doctors a lot, sometimes I'm not well enough to attend family functions, I hate people who now take their health for granted, I can't really plan much as I don't like to cancel xx some people don't realise how lucky they are, thank goodness I believe in karma xx

• Posted

I can only re assure you Hun you are not alone I spent many years being scared of everything and I mean everything my life totally went on hold I found a lot of help in hypnotherapy which took a hell of a lot to even get me there also acupuncture I carry massive knots in my shoulders and a lot of anxiety in my chest even now I'm not cured and doubt I will ever be but I cope better

• Posted

Same here, I have a son of 32 and he really knows when I'm getting stressed, sometimes things just build up and he is the perfect person that talks me off that ledge, I worry a lot too much about how other people perceive me, and he puts things into perspective xxx I hope you have that one person also xxx we seem to just get each other don't we? Lol

• Posted

Yh defo I find it hard go places without my other half he's great and I definitely draw strength from him x

• Posted

That's good you have that support, I know a lot of people from these forums who don't have any support, which I feel it would make things so much worse. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.