Diverticulitis - help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I have very recently been diagnosed with diverticulitis and have spent the last 3 days in hospital on IV antibiotics. I have been sent home today with oral antibiotics for another 7 days and then have to go back in 8 weeks for a flexible sigmoidoscopy. I have an abscess next to my bowel and a small tear in my bowel.

Has anyone else had the same or similar and made a full recovery without the need for surgery? I am terrified that it wont heal and it will end up in surgery and needing a colostomy bag.

Also any tips on what to eat now whilst i recover and after? I have googled and asked my consultant but i cannot get any specific answers and some information is conflicting. Also what is okay to drink? Before this happened I drank a lot of milk, will this still be okay or not? I know I'm to drink more water. I am so scared of eating or drinking something that is going to make it worse or prevent it from repairing itself.

Any experiences, advice or reassurance will be much appreciated, this is all very new to me and I feel like I'm having to come to terms with something that is going to change my life.

Thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello Danielle ,your letter is very similar to the one that I wrote ,at the beginning of Divi Diners

l lots of us were in the same boat ,but we all became involved and helped each other enormously Go to Divi Diners ,leave yourself lots of time ,because there is an awful lot to read .Now, the other bit !!!! It's just a visit into your problem tubes .to see what is happening. You can watch it in glorious technicolour on a TV monitor ,and ask questions

Don't be worried ,just be interested .and it will NOT make any significent change to your life.

eat soft and sloppy stuff ,until you heal .

reply on divi diners ,then lots of us will talk to you .

Talk to us xxxx

Jacqueline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.