Dizzy for months!! And no one knows why

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had awful dizzyness, vertigo, light headedness and sickness for months now. I take regular stemitil (anti-emtic) and occasionally diazepam for days of extreme vertigo. I seen an ENT consultant who basically shook my head side to side which made me feel dizzy and sick and made me cry and just said il arrange an MRI and see you in 3-4months. GP started me on serc 16 (beta histamine) but ENT said don't take it as its only for menires disease and to stop all medication all together.. Which I did and then felt awful so GP has said do not stop taking medications under any circumstances now I'm confused due to conflicting advice! I have no idea why I feel like this and what it is but it's making me so depressed and ruining my life! I'm a 27 year old female and wondered if anyone is in same situation. Any suggestions to help me function in day to day life. Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Alyssa, trust me you're not alone. I'm over 2 months feeling the same. It started with a couple of staggers of dizziness, followed by a feeling like I was going to pass out but didn't. A constant feeling of off balance/light headedness. I was diagnosed with a urinary infection and told that was probably why I was getting dizzy. The infection cleared up but my head has stayed the same. All of my bloods are clear. I'm currently waiting on an appointment with an ENT. My doctor first put me on stemetil which did nothing. I've now been taking serc (betahistine dihydrochloride) for around 5 weeks. I'm not sure if it has helped to settle the feeling because it hasn't got any worse but it certainly hasn't got any better. Objects in my peripheral vision shake, I sway when I stand still, I feel like everything around me is unsettled. The feeling is worse when I try to go into a large open space or a busy shop, I feel like my head is "swimming", and I have no control over my body. At that point i have to leave. Whatever is wrong is literally ruining my life, it's awful.
    • Posted

Hi ,I have the same problems , but I don't take any medicine. When you said you feel dizzy in the store and you need to leave, look like you're having a panic attack . I'm the same situation feel dizzy, like I'm going to faint, my vision is blurry ,I'm sweating (my face and my head ) I feel like I'm going to die and have something wrong with me and the doctors seems that they don't care about me .what if they missing something and that will get worst . But it's just a mind game, anxiety and panic attacks, stress all together can make you body suffer physically . And becouse you worry about it happens again and again . I don't know if that's really it's your problem ,but talk to your doctor . Test your thyroid, sometimes problem with the thyroid make you feel like that ,but in mean time try to relax and not worry ,try meditation and have some fun ,take some time off and have nice vacation out in nature. Really helps .

I hope you feel better and everything will be fine, have faith and God bless you!

• Posted

Hi alyssa I have been in a similar situation for around 7 months now Virtigo/sickness balance issues which are worse in busy environments like supermarkets,parks etc.The first thing that helped take me to around 60 percent was to start going all the places that made me dizzy/ anxious like the supermarket.I then started a vestibular rehabilitation program on YouTube by Byung han I do 10 minutes three times a day, he also has eyes exercises which take around 4 minutes which I do 3 times a day.After 2 months of doing these I was at around 70percent but still getting very bad days where iwas very ill and having to stay in bed.You have to persivere with the exercises as you will get worse before getting better,I then kind of hit a level I could not get past so I tried a couple other things,one was a nootropic called piracetam which was originally developed in the 60's for Virtigo/motion sickness it has no side effects and if you google Virtigo and piracetam you will find some positive studies on it I have been taking it two weeks now and feel a lot clearer in my mind less fuzziness brain fog.The last thing I did was start optokenetic exercises from you tube doing 10 minutes 3 times a day and I feel they have had a positive effect on my chronic Virtigo.Today I am at around 80 percent still not perfect but feeling so much more positive I will recover to my former state.Stay positive you will improve,I know that's hard as constantly feeling sick/dizzy/not all there is draining and gets you down but will be back to yourself just got to be patient.These things I have suggested obviously won't help everyone but it doesn't hurt to have options in beating this thing.
  • Posted

Hi there.

I've been dealing with lightheadedness pressure in my head. Feeling of motion sickness all day everyday. It's misery !! It's been over 3 yrs now. Drs say it's stress depression anxiety. I refused to take meds for any of the above until 3 months ago I gave in. I was taking cymbalta It helped but I started to put on weight. Side effect. I stopped it. Then he gave me Wellbutrin took it for a month and I noticed it made me agitated aggressive. Stopped that. Now I'm not taking anything and I'm back to square one ) : My ears feel this pressure , my head my face , neck. It's very subtle but enough to feel that motion, swaying, like

My brain is on a raft. I've had MRIs , ct scans, ENTs , I had the equilibrium test done, blood work like you wouldn't believe. Blurry vision , nauseous sometimes. It's dibilitating. I'm always tired , but I different kind of tired. Praying we get better soon

• Posted

Sorry for u life does seem unfair i know it is a slow process but it will get better i have been sick with this five years now it is pretty good most days but still have bad days i just do my excercises for balance still retraining, my brain but hopefully one day i will be ba ck to normal hang in there
    • Posted

haveĀ  you tried the exercises to alleviate some of this? The one that emulates a summersault helped me to function, altho if you have a damaged neck, be careful...Watch Dr Foster's vid to explain how to do this..and i highly recommend getting your neck checked for proper alignment...It could be an easy fix.
    • Posted

Sorry, forgot to mention using a neti-pot to loosen up the eustachean tubes in the ear...
  • Posted

It's awful I know I ssuggest seeinga pphysico therapist mine did wonders for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.