Do i have kidney disease ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am just a bit confused .

I had a radical nephrectomy 12 months ago due to tumor and have just been diagnosed with ckd given to me by nephrologist, gfr 58 creatinine 87,

and not really given much info ,

however i have since seen my urologist who said i do not have a diseased kidney? so dont understand why i have been diagnosed with ckd, can anyone explain this ?

all replies would be appreciated..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm new to here and to be honest new to the whole ckd thing. My brother is currently going through checks to be a live donor for me and the only thing I can think of that ties in with you is, he will not be listed as ckd after the kidney donation but as his kidney function will have halved, he will automatically be listed as stage 3 kidney failure. I hope this is what your doc meant

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi,

It's complicated. I too had a radical nephrectomy January of 2015. Was told my other kidney was functioning just fine. In fact, when I had my kidneys tested before surgery my left kidney was functioning at 80% according to that tracer they inject with X-ray (forgot the test name) my other one wasn't functioning at all and hadn't for some time. Fast forwarding now to today I have been labeled as having stage 3 CKD. My gfr as of last March is 58. It fluctuates so much though. I've had some come back in the 70's and some come back as low as 48😳!!! They ran all sorts of test to see if my body was attacking itself or if I had autoimmune stuff etc. but everything is normal. When you remove a kidney you obviously will never have 100% function because you lost one. Usually at optimum health your remaining kidney should be around 70-80% gfr. But age and other things can play a factor. My doctor thinks I had allot of uti's maybe in my past that damaged the kidney a little that I wasn't aware I had and then when the one took over for two it declined my function a little bit unfortunately. My nephrologist said he hates that they label people with CKD below 60%gfr but I guess it's the guidelines of the medical industry to follow and monitor the percentage of people with it. I was also told my kidney is stable and ok even at 58 gfr. I was told to watch my protein and potassium and I should just fine moving forward. I am a 44 year old female .

• Posted

Oh and do not take any ibuprofen. Keep your blood pressure under control and ok all antibiotics that you might have to take with your nephrologist first.
    • Posted

After my kidney was removed within a few months I Felipe's a really bad ear infection and was put in a very strong antibiotic. Nephrologist told me it could've very well hurt my kidney a little too. So check everything with them before taking anything.

• Posted

Yes, do not ibuprofens or allege. They hurt kidneys. Also, if u need antibiotic, make sure it is kidney safe. My sister was put on Bactrim for a uti, it almost puput her in kidey failure. Also, my sisters creatinine and gfr are good, but high bun. (Urea nitrogen). What do they do for that? Kidney doctors don't give us ay solid answers. They are really on my nerves. So, if anyone has the same, i would love your input!! Hope you find an answer.n

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.