Do I have to have a smear test

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I'm really new to this and any help would be appreciated.

I keep getting sent letters from my GP inviting me to have a smear test. I've had 6 letters come through now.

I've explained to my GP that I was sexually assaulted in the past and find the thought of anyone I don't feel comfortable with distressing, I even find getting the letters distressing (sounds really silly I know)

Just wondering whether smears are compulsory or if they can kick my off the doctors list for not having it done?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fliss.

The letters go out automatically, to remind you that you are due for a smear. It sounds like you are very overdue, so they may be sending them more frequently.

Maybe you could have a chat with your Doctor? There may be another way to get round your fears. Maybe a sedative? I really don't know.

But it is a very important test to have done, and could save your life in the event of any unusual cells they find.

Please have a chat to your Doc. xx

• Posted

Hello Fliss,

so sorry to read of your fear,  a smear test is so vastly different from a romantic setting and not one bit like an assault.  Is it possible for you to have a quiet chat with the nurse who would be doing the test,  I am sure she would help to take away your worries and allow you to be relaxed about it all.  It is an important check for all women, it is also a run up to what checks you would be having when the time comes for babies.  The whole thing is over before you know it,  the nurse will be chatting with you about every day things whilst it is being done,  it is not painful at all and there are no after effects to be concerned about.  Please ask for the nurse to have a chat about it,  I do understand your worries and wish I had words to take them away.   It is easier than a check up at the Dentist,  am trying to compare it to other things we have checked,  x rays,  chest soundings, injections etc,  the nurses are gentle and don't rush you in any way,  is done in seconds with no embarresment.  You are not being silly getting distressed about it, a lot of things cause us to get stressed and we would rather do without than  get the benifit of what help they will be for us.  Please arrange to talk with the nurse before the next letter arrives and gets you upset,  give her the chance to put your mind at rest, let her show you what instrument is used and put your mind at rest.   It could save your life.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

I understand completely because I was assulted in the past when very young. I dread smears but they're a good idea and it's always been women who do them and they're used to our discomfort about it.

If you really don't want to have one they can't kick you off the list!

• Posted

Hi Fliss

I work in the admin team of a GP surgery and wanted to say that you don't have to have a smear test if you really don't want one. You shouldn't have to tell your surgery why you don't want a smear test either. Just talk to your surgery and it can be easy as signing a form.

You won't be removed from a surgery's books for not responding to recall letters but you might get a call asking why you've not made contact.

Hope this helps xx

• Posted

Hi, i have recently recived a 3RD  and FINAL letter ordering me to have a smear test,why do surgeries thing it `s ok to bully paitents?I am not going to go and the letter went in the bin with all the others .
  • Posted

Hi Fliss, If you still have problems with your gp or any nurse you can tell them that you will make a complaint to the general medical council.The smear test is your choice ,also do not let yourself be bullied if you go tothe doctors for another condition .They can use any appointment to try to make you have the test,hope you find this helpful.
  • Posted

Smear tests are not compulsory and you don't have to have them, although your GP will push them because GPs get financial incentives to push patients into accepting a test. They get the most money if they can persuade 80% of women to screen. I think this is wrong as many women feel bullied into having them, and then put off going to their GP about other more important issues.

It is your legal right to opt out of cervical screening and stop getting the recall letters and any further requests from your GP. Simply give your notice in writing to your GP that you wish to be removed from the cervical screening programme, say that you have read the leaflet and understand the test, that you have considered your options, and want to not be pestered anymore.

If at a future date, you decide to return to screening, simply making an appointment for a test will automatically re-instate you into the programme again. 

It is entirely your choice.  I opted out in 2003 and it was a joy never to receive anymore letters or pestering from the doctor.

• Posted

Hi informed,it`s nice to know you can live hassle free,i have just written a letter to my surgery and emailed nhs england the same (as back-up).I hope it works for me too.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you have been through this. I was sexually abused as a child & have not been comfortable with having a smear; I have chosen to continue to have them as I have HPV and have had cell changes in the past requiring treatment.  What really helped me was to take control of the situation saying to the nurse I needed to go slowly. If necesssary tell receptionist you need a double appointment so there is no time pressure.  Ask for doctor to do it if you are more comfortable with her.  Know you can say STOP at any point.  For me I felt the worse bit was the nurse opening my legs so I said I wanted to be in charge of when I did that.  I needed to stand up for myself and what I needed. Afterwards I bought myself a bunch of flowers to honour myself for going through it!  But it is your choice no one elses's. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.