Do I need a hip replacement?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with arthritis in my right hip (x rays taken over 3 years ago) . I've had only minor discomfort until recently when I've started to get a lot of pain in my lower back (right side). It's really bad when I bend. It's getting increasingly difficult for me to put my socks on and do up my shoes. I just wonder if this is caused by the hip or if I've another problem - possibly sacroiliac joint? I get some pain in my groin and buttock but the worst pain is in my lower back. 

I had a left knee replacement 18 months ago and my consultant has told me to contact him if my hip gets worse. I am reluctant to have another operation if it's possible to avoid it. I just wonder if others with hip arthritis experience similar pain. I take paracetamol (on GP's advice), do exercises each day and visit a chiropractor every few weeks. 

I'd appreciate any advice from any fellow sufferers of hip arthritis or anyone who has had a hip replacement

Jen 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My friend is on her second hip replacement, and she can move better now than she did with the first one, its the latest type of joint.  No pain and lots of movement, why suffer when an operation if its needed can put you out of your misery. 

I have had finger joint replacement and no pain is priceless.

• Posted

I am 56 and I had my hip replaced 3 years ago because of arthritis. Your back pain very likely is related to the hip arthritis but you'll need to get a fresh set of xrays done. I put off the operation like most people  waited way too long to have it done. Osteoarthritis runs heavily in my mom's side of the family. I had an uncle who kept having back pain, the drs operated on him 2 or 3 times (I can't remember) and he kept getting worse. He was headed for a wheelchair at 50 years old. His last attempt was to go to the Mayo Clinic. They found that it was his hips.,Both of them. Had both of them replaced and was totally pain free. 

I would really encourage you to get some new xrays... and if you need the replacement, just get it done. My pain got so bad I couldn't even find a comfortable position to sleep in. and i was screwing up my back because one leg was getting shorter than the other throwing everything out of balance. You don't want that either. 

I wish I could find something that would at least stave off the arthritis for a while. My hands are getting back and I think its in my shoulders too. Ugh... Anyways, feel free to write back! This isn't an easy path but it is better than others. 

• Posted

Thank you and all others for your helpful, sensible comments. I see my chiropractor again next week so I'll see what she says. I think I know I'm putting off the inevitable though and suppose I should try to see the orthopaedic consultant. I just don't want to go through another operation and still be left with the back pain. 
  • Posted

If you have an arthritic hip joint, go for it before it deteriorates.

BUT  If it's not the hip joint that is causing your problems, then replacing it will do absolutely no good at all.

You need new X-Rays of the hip and a proper up-to-date diagnosis by a professional.  I'd contact your knee replacement consultant and see what he says, he'll know you and your history better than anyone else.

Graham

• Posted

Hello Jennifer, 

I am 53 and have just had both hips replaced. Like Graham (Hello Graham!) I would advise getting it sorted before it gets any worse.

I had pain in my buttocks, groin, lower back, thighs, knees and ankles and I believe that pain can radiate all over the body. I have arthritis is other places and since having my hips done I believe that the pressure has been relieved on my knees and ankles. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.