Do I need Hepatitis B treatment?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

I am 33 year old male and new to the forum hence will start with Hello!!!!.. I need help/suggestions on the recent visit and discussion I had with my doctor on my test results and treatment he suggested.

I have been diagnosed with hep B in 2008 since then I have been keeping an eye on viral load and ALT.  Below are my recent test results:

1. HBsAg Screen: Positive

2. HBeAG: Negative

3. HBeAB: Positive

4. HBV Load: 3530 IU/mL (Log 3.548)

5. Liver Ultrasound: Normal

6. Liver Biopsy:  Grade 2 out of 4 Stage 1 out of 4

7. ALT (SGPT):  29 IU/L (Normal Range- 0-44)

8. AST (SGOT) : 21 IU/L (Normal Range 0-40)

After looking at the result my doctor is suggesting to start treatment by taking viread (tenofovir tablet 300 mg).

I am little concerned about starting the treatment as it is way costly. I am not sure if treatment is right choice at this moment. Kindly suggest if I shall look for second option before deciding on medication or shall I start the it.

Thanks in advance for all your help..

-Adi

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, welcome. when i was diagnosed with Hep c a few years back, i had to have vaccines for hep a, which involved 2 shots and for hep b, 3 shots. Luckily my insurance covered it. Then for the hep c, i took harvoni which cured the virus. But some insurance gives a hard time due to the cost. But i had medicaid and medicare and they paid all the cost with no problems. The harvoni cost the most but i only had a co pay of 3.00 which was good considering how much it would have cost out of pocket. But i would get a second opinion if i was you. good luck!
  • Posted

I've been taking Viread, now Vemlidy for 3 years. When I started taking medication, my test results were a lot worse than you, for instance, stage 3 out of 4 in liver fibrosis. The medication did got my conditions back to normal within a year but I continued to take it and will continue for a few years longer. Yes, the medication is expensive even my health insurance pays 80% of its cost. It also has some side effects, though subtle. I'm a marathon runner, routinely qualified for Boston before the medication. After medication, my fitness level took a hit and can no longer qualify for Boston but I continue to run, mostly half marathons, with no problem.

It seems to me you could continue to monitor the liver conditions without medication, but I'm not a doctor and so take it as a grain of salt.  

• Posted

Thank you so much guys for the response.. I am thinking to see second opinion before i decide on the treatment.. I always wonder why Liver Biopsy shows Grade 2 out of 4 and Stage 1 out of 4..  I have been monitoring ALT and AST from last 9 years and they always have been in normal range. I am wondering what does that mean by Liver Biopsy is my condition too bad? 
  • Posted

Update: I went for second opinion on starting antiviral treatment, Doctor monitored me for 9 months before deciding on treatment. My ALT, AST and rest of liver enzyme were within normal range except viral load went up. Below are the last 9 months results:

HBV Load: 3530 IU/mL (Nov-2017), 2,580 (Jan-2018), 4,800 (April-2018), 14,500 (June-2018).

ALT (SGPT):29 IU/L (Nov -2017), 35 (Jan-2018), 29 (May-2018), 42 (June-2018) - (Normal Range 0-44).

AST (SGOT) :21 IU/L (Nov-2017), 27 (Jan-2018), 23 (May-2018), 32 (June- 2018)- (Normal Range 0-40).

Looking at the viral load and slight increase in liver enzyme, Dr suggested to start antiviral treatment. I have started taking Enticavir .5 mg daily. Dr is afraid that I will have to live on the treatment for life. Hope medicine would not have any drug resistance. Hoping a brighter future in term of functional cure  [sad]  . Will keep tread updated on progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.