Do I really have vasomotor rhinitis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

31 y/o male here. In August last year I had bad sinusitis that lasted around 6 months before clearing up.

Since then however, i've been experiencing fatigue, stuffy nose (worse at night when lying down) where it feels mostly blocked / congested, dry eyes, loud constant tinnitus (hissing).

I have seen an ENT and he looked at my nose and diagnosed vasomotor rhinitis and said that I would need to get a septoplasty, turbinate reduction and tonsils removed (tonsils are large grade 3.5 but not infected).

I have tried a number of things, including antihistamines (they don't work), pretty much every nasal spray you can think of (most don't work). When I kind of lift next to my nostrils up quite a bit it does give me some relief but short lived when i let it go back down. The only nasal spray that seems to work is xylometazoline but I can't take that for more than 3 days.

I really can't understand what could be the root cause of this. I thought maybe it could be some kind of dust allergy but i've had our mattress and pillows cleaned professionally for dust mites.

It just constantly feels like i'm breathing at about 40-50% of the normal capacity (if that makes sense).

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I suffer year round with flare ups, I am no doctor but I think u  should get some allergy testing done, to see if  u r indeed allergic to dust and dustmites. if so just cleaning the mattress will not stop the spread of dust mites. there r some many other things that need to be done to minimize those little pest. . but first  u should as I mentioned have an allergy test done to verify what u r allergic too. that will be the start and take it from there!!!
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I will speak to my doctor about allergy testing. The strange thing is with my nose is that its not running, I don't have post nasal drip its more dry than anything and just constricts / gets blocked all the time.

I do feel it stems from some sort of dust allergy personally... but i'm not sure. I've never had any allergies before.

• Posted

I too as far as I remember never had allergies until about 5 years ago and then Bam. I do on occassion have the dry nose syndrome, which could be a side effect of the nasal sprays.  very frustrating  so many things can affect the sinuses including food allergies. 
  • Posted

I think when ENT types don't know what something is, they call it vasomotor rhinitis. Get a second opinion and get tested for allergies...not  the blood test, but the comprehensive test with needle sticks. My mom had  been suffering from so called "Non-allergic Vasomotor Rhinitis" for years. Then, I took her to a respected allergist who performed allergy test on her. She is now in her 15th week of weekly allergy shots and though all symptoms have not gone away 100%, there is improvement. Immunotherapy (shots) can take up to a year for conclusive results. Get tested!

• Posted

Thanks PeteDam. I agree with you, I can't understand how all of a sudden I have all of these issues and its just 'vasomotor rhinitis'. There has to be some sort of allergic component.... thanks for your reply i'll get my doctor to refer me to an allergist.

• Posted

I'm in the same boat been battling it for 12 years I have flare-ups they get to the point of either choking or puking so far my body's chose the later but on two occasions I had to call the Rescue Squad I couldn't breathe I was choking and that'll scare the hell out of you... Also mine is developing into bronchitis the post nasal drip floods my throat and eventually Works down to my lungs... 2 Meds seem to help ipratropium nasal spray and albuterol inhaler also some guaifenesin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.