Do symptoms go away after treatment?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hereditary hemochromatosis and am starting treatment soon. I've had several of the common symptoms like fatigue, skin issues, joint pain etc. I was wondering if the symptoms start to go away after treatments start. I'm going to be getting weekly phlebotomies.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

people disagree on here, and that's fine. personally, the first month was worse. but after that, you will notice it by the day. as others have said, load up on water.

• Posted

I would agree with what Garett82 posted. It depends. Some of mine I felt AWESOME afterwards - felt like I was 18 again renewed strength, mentally alert, full of life even one day after a phleb. I was so pumped and figurd this will be the way it will be from here on out. I was wrong. haha Others I felt horrible - fatigue, headaches, muscle pains etc that hang on many days after a phleb. I dont know if there is an exact science to it. Drink alot of water. Get rest when you can and eat a diet that will give you strength. 
  • Posted

I have been doing phlobo every two weeks for a year and half, my levels are down to 56 thank goodness.  Have to agree with the other replys, there were times I felt great but also times it took two days to get my energy back.  Water is the key, drink a bunch.  Now my treatments are monthly and I have been feeling much better more energy but still tired after the blood draw
  • Posted

The fatigue goes away for me when my iron levels are low. I stop getting the dreadful indigestion and abdominal pain, hot flushes, brain fog, mood swings, chest pain & heavy legs/feet. Any hair loss doesn't seem to reverse. My one knuckle is affected and hasn't improved but no further distortion since venessections. It seems to take around four days after venessections for me to feel "lighter" - no matter what I try (drinking/eating etc) I always feel ill directly afterwards.

• Posted

im the same way, felt great after 6 months, but the hair loss is bad. any help with that?
  • Posted

As others have said it depends on the individual. I would usually start to feel better as soon as they started the phlebotomy it may have just been the placedo effect but it worked for me smile. The only consistant problem I remember was that early on my blood pressure would get to low and I'd feel like falling over. They reduced and then took me off the BP med I was taking and haven't taken it since. 

• Posted

My husband has the same . With him he says he still has the aches and pains but they have subsided .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.