Do you think I have ASD?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 14. I am above average at school. I'm fine most of the time, but some days I am easily irritated by people talking. I cover my face, won't look at people and wring my hands. I'll put my fingers in my ears sometimes and ignore people. I am aware that I behaving oddly when I do this, but I can't stop because it makes me feel better. I say stuff that people think is impolite but I don't think it is. I sometimes don't pick up on sarcasm or when people are bored of what I'm saying. I find it difficult to show my emotions with my face.

Thankyou for reading.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

firstly well done to you for opening up I know at that age it can be tough to open up to people, as you are going through the changes of being a teenager. In regards to thinking you have ASD, might I suggest ( and you don't have to do this) but have a word with your parents about the concerns of thinking you have ASD, I would write a list of all the signs you think you have that match up to the signs for ASD and speak to your GP. And get your parents to have a word with your school if something is not right.

I will be honest it is hard to diagnose people with ASD especially young girls and women more than it is in guys and men. If once you have been to see your GP and you get referred don't worry if it takes a long time to have an appointment with the referral team, some areas can take months to years being on a waiting list.

Don't worry about what other people say, I went through a similar thing when I was in school to the point I was mute for half a year, which was when things were mentioned about possibly getting diagnosed.  Just don't assume that you do have ASD or get your hopes up and find you don't, the tests they do at the assessment with the referral team go over everything from your childhood, speech and language, how you portray yourself, to how every day life affects you.

All I can say is that I hope this has been helpful, please PM me if you wish to have more advice.

And I wish you all the best with getting this sorted out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.