Doc suggested arthroscopic surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

My doctor just called and suggested that I go forward with scoping my knee to see what the issue is as after a year and a half they still don't know what is wrong. I'm trying to figure out if I should go forward with the surgery or not. I don't really trust my doctor as she has previously diagnosed me with things she doesn't believe exists, and contacted me five hours past the phone visit that was scheduled. I also have learned to deal with the subtle pain and soreness that has been in my knee, but have also had days where I feel like I cannot walk due to the pain. Any suggestions on whether or not I should go forward with the surgery?

*Doc says that the images show a cleft in my fat pad, and believes there may be plica involvement*

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try a second opinion, any surgical operation should qualify.
  • Posted

I had arthroscopic knee surgery 6 weeks ago and regret it. I did both knees at once so that might be part of the problem. My doc said I could go back to work in 4 days. My friend went on her morning walk the next day after her surgery. My other friend played golf two weeks later. So I thought it would be easy. But it has been very difficult and my PT says it will be a total of three months before I will be out of pain. I was playing sports up until the day before the surgery.

I'd definitely get a second opinion if I were you.

• Posted

First, if you don't trust your Dr you should get a new one. Second, I had an arthroscopy done on my knee when nothing was showing up and it WAS Plica. It was great after the surgery for 6 months. Then I fell on my knee. It was soft ground but it has ached almost ever since. I also fell 6 months after that. All in all, it is still better than it was before the surgery.

• Posted

Hello Mickey.

I would suggest you to go for second opinion. Thats the best choice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.