Does anybody have a prolactinoma

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Does anyone here have a prolactinoma and if so have you ever suffered from sleep problems? 

Thankyou 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hell yes,  major issues I can fall asleep usually  but I wake up every night at 2 or 3 depending on the time change I have been looking into Cortisol levels etc.
    • Posted

I second the opinion of getting cortisol checked, especially if you find it hard to get going in the morning combined with difficulty getting to sleep. Melatonin can help short term, but if you have cortisol issues you will need an ACTH simulating test to determine the best course of action. The prolactin may not specifically be causing the problem, but the tumor can cause other endocrine dysfunction due to its size or pressure it is putting on surrounding pituitary tissue.
  • Posted

I had one diagnosed 30yrs ago was put on meds of either paroled or bromocriptine (generic) it brought my levels down to acceptable and shrunk my tumor minimally I will be on this low dose my whole life which is fine because it keeps my levels down and they now call it a pituitary adenoma since I don’t produce prolactin anymore.  The meds were a little tough to get used to but the Dr started me out very low and slow till I acclimated. Now it’s just like taking my morning vitamin. I hope yours responds as well. Keep us posted.  As for sleeping, I can’t say it’s from the pituitary issue because I had it before I knew about any pituitary problems. But yes I wake after 3 hrs of sleep and go back to sleep ( if I’m lucky) to wake up 3 hours later again.   I wish you well on really bad sleepless nights I have to take an ambien. 
    • Posted

hello,

i am wondering what mental symptoms you all had before diagnosis and during both medicines cabergoline and bromocriptine. i have a Prolactinoma 6 mm. pituitary secretes both progestin and growth hormone. i have had both medicines Cabergoline first crying all the time lump in throat and GERD. i discovered on this site low estrogen causes some of that. i am menopausal so increased estrogen throat and GERD symptoms went away. i wanted to go back and try weekly Cabergoline, but Endo says to wait and stay on Bromocriptine. Mentally i have felt worse. i was on Cabergoline since Jan 1, then changed to Bromocriptine middle March. So 4 months combiation both. Anybody have the coping issues? How long mental issues might last and if they had to use a mood stabilizor medicine.. A major side note I have Cushing's with adrenal removed so low cortisol now and steroids for over a year and hypothyroid. Hormonally a mess. Any advice.

• Posted

Hi

My son has prolactinoma just recently diagnosed and he has terrible problems with his sleep.

He is waiting to start treatment and is hoping this will settle.

• Posted

hey i felt responsible to tell others who have the same problem like me i have prolactemia and after taking lots of dostinex i felt depressed due to side effect so i stopped taking it and started finding a home remedy which i found an article about eating black seed with the same effect. take black seed with honey every morning i assure u it has the same result as dostinex you cansearch it on tge internet tgere is just one article i found

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.