Does anyone have a remedy for uncontrollable yawning?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am nearly always very tired, even though I sleep much better now that I have less pain due to the Oxtcontin that I have been on for two months. The problem is that at least twice a day I get uncontrollable bouts of yawning. Two or three times a minute for up to an hour I yawn no matter what I do to stop it. It is so embarassing when I am shopping or in the street. In the end I am always so exhausted I have trouble even walking to get back home. The only way I have found to stop it is to sleep for a few minutes but of course that is not always possible. Does anyone else have this problem or any ideas for stopping it?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes Julie i can't stop yawning and yes it's embarrassing it happens even when I'm talking to some one in person or on phone too I get the response am I keeping you up or have you been burning the candle at both ends or did you have a lay night my answer is no always I have M E and fibromyalgia arthritis and chronic lower back pain but no one can see all these Illnesses whichakes look bad unfortunately I've got no solution to yawning but I do sympathize with you I'm in a new job and my bosses think I'm not doing well and not attentive I was desperate to get out my old job so didn't tell them i hoped a new job would be better for me but no change in fact I'm even more tired because it's mentally straining learning new things and my memory isn't helping i keep forgetting what I'm told I'm so worried I will get the sack but I've tried dla and get low payout but pip so I'm told I have no chance if i can't pay bills I'll lose my home in scared and fed up I see no way out of this illness and I feel so embarrassed when I keep yawning . If you ever get a way to stop yawning please pass it on

• Posted

Oh I am so sorry for you. I couldn't possibly work with this illness and you are very courageous. I worked all of my life as a dressmaker, and I had my own shops. I worked with terrible back pains, a broken foot, and until the day my baby was born, so I wasn't lazy, but this illness has me beat. I am so terribly tired all of the time. But I understand that you must work if you want to save your home. The stress of that can't be good for you. I need to earn extra money too because my pension isn't enough, so I sell clothes and books on the internet. Have you thought about trying something like that? I work when I can, and sleep when I need to; it's the only solution for me. It took a little while to get established, but if you get a good reputation for the quality of the items that you sell and you wrap them up well and send them promptly you would soon get a steady income. I do hope that you find a solution to your financial problems, because I honestly don't think that the tiredness goes away. I am seeing my GP today and I am going to ask him if he has any tips to stop the yawning. I just hope he doesn't suggest medication. I am SO fed up with taking pills for this that and the other! Good luck Linda. 

• Posted

Thanks Julia this is a terrible illness I may try selling things I haven't much to lose from giving it a go. Most people who have this illness seem to have said the same thing I never used to stop now I find it hard to get going. It's so frustrating. If you do get any ideas from your Dr to help with the yawning could you please get in touch. Sending best wishes and hugs to you. linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.