Does anyone know how to inject blood thinners without getting painful lumps?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am on injections as the tablets have too many side effects and don’t work as well. Sometimes I just get a little bruise where the injection goes and it doesn’t hurt but other times it really hurts and I get a massive bruise and lump. I always put ice on the area before and after so I was wondering if anyone knew a technique that avoids the massive bruise and lump combo!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, after two pregnancies during which I had to take in excess of 700 lovenox shots, despite trying every solution mentioned online I found nothing that worked to avoid the bruise and lump.  We (I made my partner give me the shots for my first pregnancy) tried squeezing the skin, we tried not squeezing.  We tried ice, we tried heat, we tried no temperature change.  We tried lying down, we tried standing up.  We tried pushing the lovenox slow and going super fast (I don't recommend the second one).  We tried stabbing the needle quickly, we tried the more slow and gentle approach.  There seemed to be little rhyme or reason for when the lump would form or how big the bruise would be.  What I can say is that the bruises faded too quickly to make any kind of cool patterns, which was actually a bit of a bummer.  Anyway, I'm sorry to not be helpful, but maybe I can save you some of the experimentation we went through. Frankly, in the end, I decided that it pinching a bit of skin and not even bothering with ice was the easiest way to go, since it didn't seem to produce worse or better results than anything else.  Have you talked to your doctor about some of the newer direct anticoagulant pill options (i.e. Pradaxa, Eliquis, Xarelto)?  Might be the only guaranteed way to steer clear of the bruise and lump combo...

• Posted

I tried eliquis and xarelto and they made me feel awful with the side effects and didn’t at all help the symptoms of my PEs. After a couple of days with the injections my anxiety (which was really high) died down and my very severe and constant chest pains went to just mild and occasional. Also I had really bad migraines and nausea from the tablets, I don’t get that with the injections. So although I have painful lumps and bruises all over, I will take that over high anxiety and migraines any day!

You are lucky your bruises don’t last long mine look like bad tattoos! Even when they fade you can still see where they were after a month!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.