Does anyone know the rating for Osteoporosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking medication for 7 years having been told that 5 years would be all i needed .Now they say m bones are showing a loss of 3.9 %  after all this time , is that good or bad , why keep taking the medicine if it is not working   Tricia

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Willowwand, I'm a bit shocked, because I'd have thought it might maintain bone strength if not increase bone density.  It's supposed to increase it, isn't it.  What medication have you been taking all this time?  I'm so sorry you've not had a better result!
  • Posted

From what I have been reading lately you should NOT be taking the medication longer than 5 years, if that, because at a certain point the med stops working and you are left with a HIGHER fracture risk than before.  Please see your medical caregiver and ask them to give you some other strategies to cope with this.  Exercise (walking), diet (make sure your calcium is being absorbed, take plenty of vitamin D3 and the other micronutrients needed for calcium metabolism), balance exercise.  Tai Chi is supposed to be very good for people of all ages and stages of health, and has been shown to have a helpful effect combatting osteoporosis.  Best of luck.  This is not an easy journey.
    • Posted

I can only absolutely agree with Anhaga.  I do hope you can get some answers!
    • Posted

Anhaga, you have hit on the Catch 22 of this abysmal class of drugs. On the one hand, medical authorities are now advising that these drugs should not be taken for longer than five years at most, as doing so raises the risk of ONJ (osteonecrosis of the jaw) and atypical femoral fracture even higher. On the other hand, it's not at all certain that gains from taking the drugs (if there are any) persist after the patient stops taking them. BTW, I do not think there is any evidence that Tai Chi is effective against osteoporosis. It may have the marginal benefit of improving balance, which in turn might marginally decrease the likelihood of falling -- but that's it.

• Posted

I don't think tai chi will improve bone density but I do think if someone isn't very active it will improve muscle strength and balance so this has to be good if they aren't getting much exercise in any other way.  We started it when we were both horribly unfit and I never thought I could do much because of arthritis but within a few weeks we felt much fitter and went on to get an exercise bike and treadmill.  Again the general fitness makes you more likely to do more exercise which might be more of the weight bearing type (the exercise bike isn't but has stregthened muscles, made us fitter and also we've both lost a stone in weight!) so tai chi is a gentle start to that journey.
    • Posted

I am learning tai chi as an addition to a whole suite of physical activity - all fairly gentle because of the osteoarthritis in my spine.  I have a pedometer so I am sure to walk at least 10,000 steps per day, have physio exercises mostly for my back, do a little yoga and practice tai chi.  As I begin to get the hang of tai chi I am sure it works the body in a very different way from all the other activities and I would be surprised indeed if it were not having a beneficial effect on my bones.  And at the very least, as you say, improving balance (which so far hasn't been a problem for me, I'm not THAT old!) can only be a good thing.  I highly recommend it, especially as it is so good for people who are in fact unable to do much else to challenge their muscles and their skeleton.  I have a friend who claims to have reversed her osteoporosis into the osteopenia range completely through natural means and she recommends Nordic walking.  She also is a parkour addict but I, with PMR and osteoarthritis, as well as being singularly unathletic all my life, am not going to try that activity!
    • Posted

Ah yes, the walking is the best possible thing to increase bone density, isn't it.  That's why we got the treadmill.  Because of knees I can't do huge amounts of pavement walking, so the treadmill, being a little cushioned (which I know detracts from the effect of bone building though) enables me to do some walking without being too bad on the knees.  At the end of the day we have to do what we can:-)  And Tai Chi is a great start for many.  It took us from being totally unfit to so much fitter in just a few weeks, going from a few minutes a day to twenty minutes a day.  It still amazes me that such a gentle exercise can produce such a result!
    • Posted

If you look up webmd weight-bearing exercise: 8 workouts for strong bones they cite researchshowing that tai chi significantly slows bone loss.
    • Posted

Allison, I am wanting some feedback on Evista. What do you know about this,particular drug? Your feelings on its safety and effectiveness.
    • Posted

Kathleen, I think Juno's summary of the potential adverse effects of Evista seems succinct and accurate. I looked up this drug not long ago with the thought of considering it for myself but quickly decided that the risks outweighed the potential benefits. I'm aware that osteoporosis is a very worrisome diagnosis; it's put me in a state of apprehension about my future, no thanks to the pill-pushing endocrinologists. On the other hand, I don't know that a "risk of fracture," an outcome that could occur despite taking dangerous meds if one were to fall, is sufficient to justify putting onself at risk of stroke or heart disease on the one hand (Evista) and ONJ, atypical femoral fracture, atrial fibrillation, and a host of other serious conditions on the other.

• Posted

Thank you Allison. At least Evista is not a biphosphonate. 

Apparently it does have one plus and that is it protects against breast cancer in the post menopausal woman.

I do take a drug for diabetes that has been criticised by countries.

With this I weigh up the pros and cons. One, it works! Two, I cannot take the alternatives!

However, with osteoporosis, the only plus is it may work but likely to do more damage than good. And the fact that the side effects are played down or denied by the pharmaceutical companies producing them. 

I will keep asking questions.

• Posted

Hi Allison,  I can only pick out 3 key words in your replly to Kathleen - " risk of fracture". The vital bit is HOW HIGH is that risk? Is it 3% , (No problem). 20%. mmmm not too happy, 50% (seriously worried).  Depending on that vital number, decisions (or none) should be chewed over . . .  

Kind thoughts, (as always!)  J

• Posted

I found this information just now, in case it is of any use to you - In 2008 the journal of clinical oncology published a study indicating that raloxifene had significantly lower odds of endometrial cancer compared with both tamoxifen users and SERM nonusers (I quoted).  That is seven years ago, wonder how the research and clinical evidence is panning out?
    • Posted

Hi Juno, not sure what you mean you can only pick out three key words. Only three key words jumping out at you? Or only three displaying? (I'm assuming the former.) As I think you know, I do not trust the so-called low risk of 3% that's been reported; I believe that these fractures, as well as ONJ, are being significantly UNDERreported. After all, the medical establishment's infatuation with bisphosphonates, which has led drs to push the meds aggressively, even prescribing to people who didn't have osteoporosis but only osteopenia -- that is, until FDA blew the whistle on this ill-advised practice -- hasn't been underway for that long. Generally it takes years for adverse-event data to accumulate to the point where risks can be cited authoritatively.

Best,

A

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.