Does Carbimazole cause aches and pains?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Graves Disease and have been on 30mg Carbimazole a day, for about two weeks. I am now experiencing lower back pain as well as other aches, is this normal on this medication ? If anyone has experienced this, does it go away when your body has gets used to Carbimazole?

I have read on the patient info sheet that you get with the tabs that they could cause aches and pains, but wondered if this is normal, thanks 

Jan

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan

I was on it for about 2 or 3 weeks only and it created so much inflammation that I stopped at the recommendation of Endo.

I had Rheumatoid Arthritis prior to Graves which has been well under control for about 3 years with diet and lifestyle, never taken medication.

I could not drive and had difficulty going to work.  I had no problems with my left knee until taking carbimazole, even though I no longer take it my knee has never been the same since.

• Posted

Thanks Sue for your reply, sounds like the aches are definitely from the Carbimazole so will mention it to Doctor and Endo when I see them next. 

​Hope you are now well on the way to recovering from Graves, take care Jan :-) 

• Posted

Jan, the carbimazole also caused welts and crazy itching.  

Once again, never had this until I took carbimazole.  The tops of my hands were mostly effected, red itchy and I scratched them until they were raw. Even after stopping carbimazole, this took a while to settle and eventually I found Borage therapy cream which helped immensely however I feel as though the medication triggered something that very faintly still simmers. 

• Posted

Hi Jan it is caused by carbomizole, I had this for over 2 months and doc and endo did not belive me...? It got so bad that even my ribcage was hurting and not talking a little bit. It did settle after 2months. Itching did not. You need to male sure you drink plenty of water it can ease off pain a bit and no alcohol at all. I did have at first some chicken glass of wine but it was making pan worse. Good luck hun you can bit Graves Iam free from it for over a year now.

• Posted

Hi Marta thanks for taking the time to reply, the aches seems to come and go and I think you're right, the times I have felt worse is after alcohol so I'm now having an occasional drink.  I do drink about 2 litres of water a day and that seems to help. Fantastic biggrin you're now Graves Free! so does that mean no medication at all, or are you now on Thyroxine (UK product) for having an underactive thyroid? Jan x
    • Posted

HI Jan yes meds free for over 2 years and life goes back to normal. Everything your concentration abilities, fitness fitness etc. I was hit by Graves quiet hard cos ignored symptoms for over 9 months and my t4 levels where really high. I decided to go for medications cos I knew that after operation or radiotherapy I wold need to take pills all the time, so thought I will gamble -nothing to lose in the end. You can do it too hun your body will get used to it in a bit xx
    • Posted

That's where I want to get to Marta biggrin pill free. Had underactive thyroid, then it turned into overactive because of GD. Now off thyroxine and just on Carbimazole, symptoms have also included weight gain but I'm sure that will get back to normal when I'm sorted. Thanks again and take care, you've been very helpful x
    • Posted

Hi Jan how you getting on huni? I hope your levels will go stable soon. And once they restart your thyroid everything stays normal. Just to let you know I also managed to conceive and I am 8 weeks pregnant so far. Hope will be able to carry full term x

Chin up u will get through.

• Posted

Hi Marta, first of all congratulations on your pregnancy biggrin I'm ok and off to get another blood test next week, still early days for me,

I mentioned the aches when I was speaking to my doctor, she didn't think it was the Carbimazole but said it was probably when my body was working at 100 miles an hour when I went overactive, that my muscles were a bit worn out.  

Coping well and off to see my Endo again in June, I will mention the aches to him and see what he says.

No itching thank goodness.  Take care of yourself. Jan x

• Posted

Thank you

That does not supprise me what doc said and you can expect same from endo too trust me been there. If u go to any thyroid forums you will see ppl have same experience with it. My ages gone after few months

I started treatment in march my pain started in may and was gone by late August. If you read leaflet for carbomizole it says that can cause some aches to joints. Good luck hun don't give up treatment it is worth a bit pain and keeping your thyroid, who is actually a victim in all of these...let me know haw u getting on. X

• Posted

Oh definitely keeping my thyroid! Endo said not to have RAI as would not  be good for the eyes biggrin will post every now and again and same to you keep in touch Jan x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.