Does excersise make symptoms worse with lupus ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good morning to all ! I'm a 66 yr old female just recently diognoisd with lupus . I've been the plaquanel for 7 weeks now , been excersissing as much as 5 days a week , as much as I can tolerate and seems like the pain is getting worse the longer I go . I realize the  plaquanel doesn't kick in for at least 3mths , but should the symptoms keep getting worse ? Most days are absolutely wasted because of energy loss & pain ! Wondering if I have become totally lazy or if Lupus  actually puts you in this terrible state of mind ?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I find l cant exercise as much l hsve to rest much more and pace myself. I started doing 2 classes on the trot a studio class followed by aqua class twice a week also the odd gym session i was doing fine then my bofy rebelled and l had a flare so have now slowed down. Im 67 and now only do 2 aqua classes a week. Listen to your body
    • Posted

Thanks Christine ! How long have you had lupus ? Yes rest sure is the first priority on the list , but geez how much rest is enough ? It seems each day is worse right now & getting a meal made is a huge chore let alone anything else we have to do as the ladies of the household ! Have you any other suggestions?. I'm really feeling lost right now to what I need to do to get through this crazy spell!! I was such a busy person all the time till now & it's really hard to let this get me down !! Any help will be great !

• Posted

After a referral to a physio due to hip, back and knee arthritis the exercise programme for balance and strengthening designed for older people was one I could mostly manage. It is gentle and doesn't need much space or equipment. There are resistance band exercises in it that I don't do because it sets off Lupus flares. It was trial and error finding out what helps and what upsets the SLE. I'm 65yrs and was diagnosed just over 4yrs ago but was misdiagnosed for decades so there's a lot of soft tissue damage in my case. It's very much on an individual basis to find exercises that suit. I don't like being inactive but limited mobility makes getting around difficult, exercising even more so.

Setting targets that are achievable because of permanent changes in my body was the approach that the Physio directed me too. I love yoga but find even that can be too much, some of it no longer possible so I've picked out some of the gentler exercises. Some days it is too much, so I exercise when I can. Lupus does knock you sideways. It is early days with the Plaquenil, you should start to feel the benefits in the next few weeks. It might be worth asking for a Physio referral but it is vital to find someone who is knowledgeable about Lupus. There's an exercise video on the Lupus UK site, might be worth watching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.