Does Hearing aids help tinnitus, how long for the brain / hearing to adapt?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All

I am in the UK, so I am looking at NHS treatment.

I’ve had a history of tinnitus throughout my life, first noticed it in my 20’s, (in my late 40’s now), but remember hearing a noise in my head at night in bed as early as 10, but it was then very faint.

I had hearing tests, which showed I have hearing loss, though wasn’t at that stage for hearing aids, at the last test in 2006.

I have managed to contain (I suppose habituated) it ok until 2019, until I became ill and GP placed me on Pregabalin, initially I had no side effects from this drug, but after about 6 months of coming of them, I noticed my Tinnitus a lot higher, possibly different pitch. I am not sure if the Pregabalin done this, or my hearing gotten worse & only just noticed it?

The tinnitus is affecting my life in a negative way and I feel maybe the route is now hearing aids, I vastly struggle in a noisy pub with conversation with my friends etc.

Has anyone here had hearing aids for tinnitus, how did you find them, did they help? Also, does the brain adapt to them ok?

Thanks for reading my story.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi,

my partner suffers from tinnitus and has hearing aids that sit inside his ears. They play a masking/white noise sound. He still struggles with his hearing in a noisy environment but has said that they have helped to mask the riniging. Some days are worse then others but i have noticed that he doesn't comment on it as much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.